Winchester 777 Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

Reaction score
I was going through my stuff (I have so much blackpowder stuff, I don't even know what I've got) and I ran across a box of Winchester 777 primers. I heard some reports of misfires with them. Should I toss them or keep them.

I'm hearing they are ok with real blackpowder & Pyrodex, but not good with 777 or Blackhorn 209.

I'm thinking they aren't hot enough for the harder to ignite powders.

If they were mine and I was suspicious of them for some reason, , I would keep them for use to clear the flame channel before loading, and also for fouling shots. Or I would use them up on the target range or for loading shotshells.

But, of course, you must understand that I am cheap.

I've been shooting Win777 primers with 777powder in my Omega since the primers came out about 3 years ago. Maybe 4 years? I have never had a problem or misfire and I shoot 200 to 400 loads a year. The 777 primers are noticably cleaner than regular 209's.

They do not work well with Blackhorn209. I use regular Win or Federal 209's for that.

On the packaging of Winchester triple se7en 209 primers it says;
"Designed for Hodgdon Triple Se7en and Pyrodex Pellets".

These primers have worked for me on T7 loose powder and pellets in my NEF Huntsman and a buddy's Omega.

I did test them with B209 and they do not work well with it. I use Winchester 209 shotshell primers with B209.

Reese said:
On the packaging of Winchester triple se7en 209 primers it says;
"Designed for Hodgdon Triple Se7en and Pyrodex Pellets".

These primers have worked for me on T7 loose powder and pellets in my NEF Huntsman and a buddy's Omega.

I did test them with B209 and they do not work well with it. I use Winchester 209 shotshell primers with B209.

The problem being that 777 is so hard to ignite. I've run across numerous reports of misfires when using them with 777.

Swampman said:
The problem being that 777 is so hard to ignite. I've run across numerous reports of misfires when using them with 777.

Are we talking T7 loose powder or pellets? Could you PM me where these reports are? My experience does not match the claim that T7 is hard to ignite in a modern inline muzzleloader. I did have problems in a 1970's TC Hawkin Flintlock.

I have shot a lot of T7 loose powder (FFg/FFFg) with several different brands of #11 caps and 209 primers. I have not yet found a combination that fails to work in the several rifles I have used it in. I have only a little experience with the pellets and they ignited fine with #11 mag and 209's I tried.

Back to your original question, If you doubt their ability to ignite T7, then just use them up at the practise range and let us know how it goes.

I simply Googled

Hogdon 777 harder to ignite

I also had a conversation with a well known authority on 777.

Swampman said:
I simply Googled

Hogdon 777 harder to ignite

I also had a conversation with a well known authority on 777.

777 loose powder is not hard to ignite, ANYONE who has ever shot it out of #11 guns can tell you that. 777 pellets on the other hand can be harder to ignite. My NEF will not give 100% reliable instant ignition using the primer carriers and 777 pellets, and I wont hunt with that.

The 777 pellets absorb moisture like a sponge, they are in a plastic container that is not sealed. They also lose their potency very rapidly. I cannot believe that Hodgdon is not vacuum sealing these containers at the factory.

Back to the 777 primers, they work well for the 777 loose powder to keep the crud ring to a minimum as compared to full strength 209 primers in SOME rifles. That is to say that it is not so in ALL rifles.

Swampman, instead of just passing on second hand knowledge from a "well known authority" (Who?), get out and shoot some for yourself. The 777 primers should give instant ignition for every BP or BP Sub out there except for BH209 and 777 pellets.

I say go shoot them, report back here, and then you will be your own authority.

I've used 777 extensively in my Knight and found it hard to ignite, and a real pain to clean.

My question was about 777 primers.

There's not much point in using them at the range if they aren't reliable enough to use them in the woods.

Thanks to those who offered information on the 777 primers. I didn't mean for the thread to wander off topic.

Swampman

I've used 777 extensively in my Knight and found it hard to ignite, and a real pain to clean.

I use T7 in all of my ML's from side locks to inlines and really have no problem with ignition even with #11 Mag caps... As for cleaning - piece cake - windex patches and water... Much less effort (if you want to call it an effort) than real BP or the Pyro's - just my experiance...

My question was about 777 primers.

I have use Win T7 primers for years and never had a problem with them - in fact I am still using them. Some of the primers I have on hand are at least 5 years old but they have been stored properly also.

Win T7 primers are not recommended for BH - I do not think they would/will ignite BH as effective as a regular 209 primer. BH is the most difficult powder to get a solid ignition with.

Back