Good starter muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBlood

Reaction score
Recommendations on a good starter gun? Looking to get the best inexpensive gun I can.

We enjoyed our time at the local YHEC shoot and now the family wants to go the muzzleloader route.

Knight Wolverine or the NEF Sidekick, both are safe to shoot and accurate. American quality is worth paying for.

Knight wolverine or knight shadow. The sidekick is also a good gun but it has many small issues a new shooter may not want to deal with. The primer carriers are also getting hard to find for them.

CVA Optima is a great little rifle. Its heavy but you put a nice sling on it and you dont feel it. Really happy with mine.

What are you looking to do with it? Here are a few that you might want to look at.

I just bought a traditions yukon on gunbroker for about one hundred dollars. It seems solid, with a drop breech action and fixed barrel and most have had good luck with them. I think midway had them for about $150.

CVA Wolf break action can be had for about $150, and again, most have had decent results.

CVA Buckhorn (open action sliding hammer) runs just over $125 at the local walmart.

I was looking at a CVA Kodiak Pro stainless steel drop breech in .45 for about $150 from sportsmans guide web site. Stainless would be nice, but .45 acessories are harder to come by.

The best quality might be the Knight wolverine .50 cal. Ye olde archery shoppe on the web had them in their clearance section for about $110 a few weeks ago.

Whatever you choose, be safe and have fun!

Knight Wolverine. Get the youth version with the 22" barrel. This is the one that Ye Old Archery shop had on sale. It is a high quality ML that you can start out with. When it's time to buy another, it can be used strictly as a gun designed for the younger members of your family.

I think the wolverine for that price is hard to beat. I don't think that is the youth stock on that particular gun though.
Art

+1 on the Knight Wolverine. $110 is a really nice price.

Thanks,

I've shot the Optima and really like it. I've also shot the Wolf. There is certainly a big difference in quality and price.

I think I'll start shopping for the Wolverine.

Latest posts

Back