CVA Hawken 50cal. Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokeploe7166

Reaction score
Hi all, Bill here
getting back into muzzleloading and had a question? Out here on the left coast of California we can't use sabots or lead balls. What would you guy's recommend for a hunting load and bullet? The rifle has a 28" barrel and it's 1in48 twist. Thanks Bill

The Thor bullet is a good choice for you. It's a full bore all copper bullet made by Barnes for Thor.

ok great, I heard I have to use a full power load for that bullet what do you think? I will be using swiss 1 1/2

No, just like the Barnes bullets made for muzzleloaders. It was designed to open at lower fps that the CF bullets.

How much Swiss are you going to use?

Well I don't know I was thinking starting at 80gr and go up from there see what works good at the range. what do you think?

I highly doubt that even the .500" thor will fit that CVA.

If you can use sabots, look at the 160gr reduced recoil thor bullet.

Here is what I know as of now
Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries and electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.
l. Sabots are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches are not sabots.
m. Smokeless powder prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black powder and black-powder substitutes are legal.
n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading seasons. ***During California Muzzleloader Hunting Season, Muzzleloading projectiles must be certified California legal. This includes Barnes T-EZ & T-MZ, Hornady SST, and Thor bullets.***

I am reading through the regs right now and I see about the sights, but not the Sabots.

Hylander, maybe they changed it. I call dfg and find out tomorrow and posted. I hope we can use them

From what I see, sabots are just mentioned as a projectile
along with all the others. I have a friend that hunts with them as far as I know.
Also, all of this would only apply in a muzzle loader only hunt, not general season.
What part of CA are you in, I'm in Norcal.

How in the world is the sst allowed as it contains lead? I surely would check up on the rules.

How in the world is the sst allowed as it contains lead? I surely would check up on the rules.

Hornady SST is Not California legal to hunt with.
Also unless Thor has their bullets approved under another name, they are not legal either.
Neither of these two are on the CA (Certified Nonlead) list.

Back