found an MK85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
Its set up to shoot #11 caps. Can this be converted to the 209? What would it cost?

gonna try to post a few pics.

19941_1132488767275_1678976410_257329_3371906_n.jpg

personally I would leave it as is... but there are conversion kits for the rifle. Check the Knight Rifle site.

cayuga said:
personally I would leave it as is... but there are conversion kits for the rifle. Check the Knight Rifle site.

why would you leave it as is? Would it perform better using the 209?

19941_1132488807276_1678976410_257330_2213719_n.jpg

I would go $150-$200 if it was in good condition with a good bore and some accesories.

90% new on the condition but comes with nothing. barrels not like new but its not bad either.

I have also found a cva bobcat that a guy wants 50 bucks for. Its in good condition but i know nothing about them. anyone have one?

OptimaAndy said:
Its set up to shoot #11 caps. Can this be converted to the 209? What would it cost?

gonna try to post a few pics.

The FPJ conversion is $64 at Midsouth, but if you shop around, some places are getting rid of them for much less. This will let you know what you are looking for. If you get ahold of Knight, you might be able to pick up one of the NFPJ conversions that just use a bare primer, if that would suit you better?

061-900603.jpg

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0061900603

if the bore is in good shape and the lock works, the bobcat is easily worth the $50! Part it out on ebay, they pay up the butt for the parts

frontier gander said:
if the bore is in good shape and the lock works, the bobcat is easily worth the $50! Part it out on ebay, they pay up the butt for the parts

have not seen it in person yet but isn't it a sidelock?

OptimaAndy said:
frontier gander said:

have not seen it in person yet but isn't it a sidelock?

bobcat is a sidelock and a very accurate sidelock at that.

I have a MK 85 that i bought a conversion for. I took it to the range after installing it and put three shots thru it brought it home and put the original plug system back in. I use fff 777 and a rws #11 cap and never get a crud ring and it always goes off. The 209 conversion I put W209 primers in it and had to almost hammer the followup shots down the barrel. This was before they came out with the lower intensity 209 MZ primers but I have never seen the need to put it back in.

If you think you might want it contact me via pm and we can work something out.

DC

minst7877 said:
I have a MK 85 that i bought a conversion for. I took it to the range after installing it and put three shots thru it brought it home and put the original plug system back in. I use fff 777 and a rws #11 cap and never get a crud ring and it always goes off. The 209 conversion I put W209 primers in it and had to almost hammer the followup shots down the barrel. This was before they came out with the lower intensity 209 MZ primers but I have never seen the need to put it back in.

If you think you might want it contact me via pm and we can work something out.

DC
I would be interested if ANDY is not. Let me know!!

It does not look like the shop is going to be reasonable about the price. However I got some additional pics of the bobcat and it looks almost new. Just may have to take a road trip. :D :D

I have a MK85 and added the 209 primer adapter and I always felt the extra firepower might be "dislodging" the seated bullet prior to the charge being burnt (I know but some of us do believe that). But my original breech plug was a pain because the nipple had to be removed first and then the screwdriver-type tool was inserted into it to remove it.

Then I bought a newer breech plug for #11 caps that I can use my socket-type tool and remove the breech plug with the nipple still attached - much easier this way. I went back to the 209 this fall when I tried to shoot BH209 but couldn't get it to ignite. I'll stay with the #11 caps and 3F Triple 7. (I'm going to retitre my MK85 this year and buy a new Triumph "just because".

Latest posts

Back