Sportsmans Warehouse

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Checked it out today in Colorado Springs, No powder at all but thats ok, i went to the Mountain Man in Manitou springs before and picked up some new powder to try out.

Sportsmans had some remington sst primers so i bought a couple packs along with some conicals, palm saver and a primer holder.

Tomorrow if its nice out i want to try the American pioneer with the 245gr powerbelts before i try out those 390gr ultimate conicals.

American powder looks like that minie gravel that they sell for model trains. But it has a really nice smell to it when you open the can and take a whiff.
accuhr004.jpg

Biggest Dislike so far. Neither my powder funnel nor my Powder Flask will work with this powder. It looks like Cat Litter, being chunky as it is.

Ive measured out Three - 100gr charges that weight out to 84 grains weight. I will test these as soon as possible with the 245gr HP Powerbelts in the CVA Accura.

American Pioneer 2f.
CatLitter002.jpg

How about 777 or even B209? Just don't shoot across a chronograph with a guy shooting like charges of B209 with that. I know speed isn't everything, but it can help in some areas. Mail-order is also your friend.

frontier gander said:
Checked it out today in Colorado Springs, No powder at all but thats ok, i went to the Mountain Man in Manitou springs before and picked up some new powder to try out.

Sportsmans had some remington sst primers so i bought a couple packs along with some conicals, palm saver and a primer holder.

Tomorrow if its nice out i want to try the American pioneer with the 245gr powerbelts before i try out those 390gr ultimate conicals.

American powder looks like that minie gravel that they sell for model trains. But it has a really nice smell to it when you open the can and take a whiff.
accuhr004.jpg

Now get you a TC Triumph and you will be all set. he..he..LOL

frontier gander said:
Biggest Dislike so far. Neither my powder funnel nor my Powder Flask will work with this powder. It looks like Cat Litter, being chunky as it is.

Ive measured out Three - 100gr charges that weight out to 84 grains weight. I will test these as soon as possible with the 245gr HP Powerbelts in the CVA Accura.

American Pioneer 2f.
CatLitter002.jpg

Try American Pioneer 3f.

I have heard the American Pioneer ha horrible velocities, anyone chrono that stuff next to T7 or Pyro?

shooter44n45 said:
I have heard the American Pioneer ha horrible velocities, anyone chrono that stuff next to T7 or Pyro?

I did a couple years ago with the APP sticks. 150 gr.( 3 sticks) was a little over 100 fps slower than 100 gr. of 777 pellets if I'm remembering correctly.Never tried the powder though, and after that pathetic performance I wouldn't waste money on it.

This stuff is darn clean and super easy to clean up, No crud ring or anything like that.

My first outing i was pretty worried and kind of pissed off LOL.

My second outing i pushed the 245gr HP Powerbelt onto the powder very firmly and allowed the barrel to cool down a few minutes between shots. I also used the new Remington STS primers. I honestly think i pulled shot #2!! It had to have been a flinch or a trigger jerk.

The holes marked with a marker were my first outing and you can see how much it sucked. Those shots, i seated the projectile lightly on top of the powder and did not allow a cool down. These were also with the CCI Inline MZL primers.
245APP-1.jpg

After 3 shots i took it inside to swab the bore clean.
First patch on the left and the second cleaning patch is on the right. After that it was dry patches only!
245APP001.jpg

Once i get the other 245gr Powerbelts in, i will up the charge to 120gr and giving it a cool down, will see how it groups then. Seems like an accurate powder so far. Only more range time and playing will help.

PICT0579.jpg

This is the 150 grain Shockey's Gold Super Stick, 300 grain Nosler Partition PP in a Harvester SB, CCI primer; shot at 100 yards with a TC Endeavor.

To me all powders have good points and bad... APP is no different. Fact is, it's a pretty darn good powder and has been used by Jim in more hunting venues than any of us could dream about.

It is a tad slower and maybe the shot to shot velocity will be a little more off than other powders... but it is very clean, shoots plenty accurate at muzzleloader distances... and actually a few years ago I did a little test in the extreme heat of SC and APP beat out 777 for accuracy in those conditions.

holy smokes we both threw one shot lol. Do you remember which shot that was that came out of the group?

:D :) 8)

F/G,
I have been saying that on this forum and the powerbelt, no crud ring and easy clean up, for the longest time about that powder. Seems that some shooters get opinions without trying out the product or believe what others say. I shoot that powder and use powerbelt 295 gr h/ps and cap it with Remington Kleanbore primers. I can load and shoot more without loosing accuracy then people using other powder or bullets. I shoot with guys that use T7 and Blackhorn and Pyrodex and they try to seat that 5th or 6th sabot and I watch and for the most part, it's a struggle. I watched my buddies all thru sept, oct and nov and all you could hear is allot of cussing and excuses. I don't have any problems with moisture messing up the powder and as far as how fast they are traveling, I don't know that. It worked great for me this season though. I took one doe at 32 yards and the other at 40/45 yards. Heart shot on one and a double lunger on the other. Both pass thrus. Both rifles are zeroed at 2"s high at 50 and they are dead on at 100. Thats all I could ask for from my ML.
Next time you buy APP, buy the premeasured tubs and do what I do, I refill them with APP GOLD. I use my U VIEW and I Weigh the tubs, 150 grains including the tubs gives you 85 grains of powder. The empty tub and cap is 65 grains by itself.
Glad you like the powder. Just water clean up and when using powerbelts, there is no hassle. :!: :!: :!:

I can't remember FG... I shot that group when it was really hot out, but it still measured around 1 1/2". I'll try that load out now that it's cold and see how it does.

The CVA Hawken and especially the CVA Mountain Rifle Love 100gr APP!! The cabelas hawken did fine but the flame channel is to small & just doesnt allow the powder to freely flow under the nipple.

The Mountain rife looks like it prefers a fouled bore, or maybe just movement. Either way, im going to spend some time working this rifle out with this combo.

All shots were from 50 yards shooting off my knee and using a fence line to steady the rifle.

I did not picture the Cabelas Hawken shot as it was 5" low but dead center. Sight adjustments will be made later on.

mountainrifle100app.jpg

Latest posts

Back