Rabbit Hunters?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tar-12

Reaction score
Do we have any rabbit hunters out there in Indiana? I sure would like to get hooked up with someone who has beagle dogs.I raised and trained beagles for years but with the kids so involved in sports, it put a big damper on the dogs!This goes for squirrel dogs dogs too!

I used to hunt rabbits often as a kid. I have excellent cover on my 1/4 section but I still see a lot more deer than rabbits. Even with good dogs we do not see too many rabbits anymore, perhaps because of the hawks, owls, coyotes etc.

jims said:
I used to hunt rabbits often as a kid. I have excellent cover on my 1/4 section but I still see a lot more deer than rabbits. Even with good dogs we do not see too many rabbits anymore, perhaps because of the hawks, owls, coyotes etc.
The varmints you mentioned sure do wreak havoc on the nos.!

I have not rabbit hunted in years because all the good dogs I had access to got old and died. :( :( Maybe the pups that I get for my nephews here in a few months will be easy to train and then I can get back into it. The last few dogs I attempted to train were nearly untrainable. Got a few good hunters, but never could break them of being gun shy.

HighTec,Start off shooting BB guns around them as little pups,when they are eating.Banging pans and so forth.I would feed the pups and then set down next to them while they are eating and shoot a low velocity air rifle around them.It does not take them long to ignore the shooting all together.If you have some that continue to shy away just pet them and reassure them.it works on the vast majority of them.Always do this in a envirnoment where they can not escape to a dog house and hide.They need to face thier fears.After a certain point ,I would shoot CBs and then reward the dog for coming to me.It works really well.

I love to hunt rabbits and we have a ton of them here unfortuately we haven't had any snow for over a month and I don't have any rabbit dogs(not enough public land for a dog).Its 50 degrees here today Jan.in Wi?
I just use a 22 auto and track them down and try to hit them when jump out of there nest.
Redclub

Redclub said:
I love to hunt rabbits and we have a ton of them here unfortuately we haven't had any snow for over a month and I don't have any rabbit dogs(not enough public land for a dog).Its 50 degrees here today Jan.in Wi?
I just use a 22 auto and track them down and try to hit them when jump out of there nest.
Redclub
Thats some fast shooting! I am glad you brought that up,I will have to do that again!Its been years since I have done that.I had a Springfield auto that would spit them out!

I think the first truly running game I ever took with something other then a shotgun was a rabbit I shot when I was a kid with a Remington Nylon 66 my Grandad gave me. It was the first gun he ever gave me. Nice little rifle, very light and handy. The rabbit was running across a frozen snow covered pond and I started poppin and got him on the 3rd or 10th shot :lol: can't really remember been so long. But I do remember how tickled I was to hit a running rabbit with a rifle as a kid. Brings up something else, I used to read about hunters out west hunting running jackrabbits with centerfire deer rifles. Now that sounds like a real hoot to me. Anybody here ever do that, and is there somewhere a guy could go to try that? In this day and age blasting away with a centerfire is kinda risky but surely there has to be a place where a feller could do it safely.

Funny you should mention the Nylon 66! I had one of those.We were shooting(attempting)birds out of the air.My friend grabbed that Nylon out of my hands and said let me show you how to do it! He proceeded to knock 2 in a row down!!!He handed me that gun back,looked me right in the eye,and said,I dont know what the problem was!! :lol: He could shoot well with any type of firearm.

I had/have one of those too. Gave it to my son and it's still in my gun room

My father has one of those Nylon 66 rifles also. Just last summer I was offered $250 for it one day when I had it out to go shooting. He would be willing to get rid of it for much less than that price, but I did not/will not tell him about the offer. I want that rifle to add to my colection when he is done with it.

Tar-12 said:
HighTec,Start off shooting BB guns around them as little pups,when they are eating.Banging pans and so forth.I would feed the pups and then set down next to them while they are eating and shoot a low velocity air rifle around them.It does not take them long to ignore the shooting all together.If you have some that continue to shy away just pet them and reassure them.it works on the vast majority of them.Always do this in a envirnoment where they can not escape to a dog house and hide.They need to face thier fears.After a certain point ,I would shoot CBs and then reward the dog for coming to me.It works really well.

Never thaught about trying it that way. Always just got them started running then took them hunting, and that did not work well at all. Took 2 after we knew were gun shy to the local shooting matches and that made them worse. After that kinda just gave up and figured that one day I would buy a dog that was already trained and was not gun shy. Just have not done that yet, and won't until after I give your advice a try on 1 or 2

HighTechRedneck said:
. Just last summer I was offered $250 for it .

That's a good price. I paid about 100 Canadian for mine, new, about 1970. Just wondering. The one I have came with a 6 shot mag and I bought a 10 shot for a spare. Some came with a tube magazine. Which one do you have.

Shooting running rabbits is great sport with a 22 I don't get a real lot ,maybe one per box of shells but where else can you shoot a dozen times at a running target that tastes great . When I was a lot younger that is what most of us used (when the bird seasons were over)and we did quite well. That is probably why we were so very good at running deer.
Redclub

RAF said:
HighTechRedneck said:
. Just last summer I was offered $250 for it .

That's a good price. I paid about 100 Canadian for mine, new, about 1970. Just wondering. The one I have came with a 6 shot mag and I bought a 10 shot for a spare. Some came with a tube magazine. Which one do you have.

It's the one with the tube in the stock. I was not aware that they also built them with a mag., but then again I have only seen 2 of them in my life.

What's really neat was the lifetime warranty of the nylon stock. Mine broke years ago, my son dropped it on a concrete floor when he was little, and I took it back to the dealer who sent it away and it came back with a new stock at no charge.

Back