Coyote hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Planning on doing some Coyote hunting before it warms up again. Any tips on equipment? I'm using a muzzleloader so I'm not interested in gun tips. :wink: Went Sunday but no luck and some small equipment issues makes me wonder what coyote hunters use as far as calls, decoys, etc. Also any general tips would be helpful.

I've been bitten by the bug for two years. I've bought a ton of DVDs, mouth calls and camo. Foxpro is THE electronic caller but is very expensive. Many good websites out there, lots of good DVDs. So far I've not had any luck. In MI they mostly hunt them with dogs(not interested) and at night(fun, but not what I want)

Check out varminthunters.com
coyotegods.com
comingtothecall.com
callingalcoyotes.com

Those might not be exact links but should get you there.

I really like doing that Patrick. Rigger Rabbit, and the Johnny Stewart calls work great. The Foxes and coyotes i shot were while i was already hunting.

Grouse said:
I really like doing that Patrick. Rigger Rabbit, and the Johnny Stewart calls work great. The Foxes and coyotes i shot were while i was already hunting.

I'll pass that along. My father in law is buying the call/decoy equipment since his stuff is OLD. We are doing this as a group. My father in law, My brother in law (the good one :wink: ), my wife, and I. All 4 of us hunted late Sunday. Our problems led me to consider soliciting advise.

I certainly noticed a shortcoming in the optics department.

Grouse said:
Depending on the set up. I prefer a 12 gauge shotgun more often then not. #4 shot stops Fox in there tracks at 40 yds. :)

I'm using a T/C Omega 50 cal with 100 gr of Triple Seven and a 240 gr Barnes Spitfire. :oops: It's the only thing I have in any quantity that shoots in the Omega. After I'm out of them I'll get set up for 200 Shockwaves. The Omega is on permanent predator duty. I've got to work out roles for my muzzies since I have plenty (for now :wink: ).

The 200grn SST is a great bullet for varmints. I have shot some Ground hogs with them and they just poke a hole in and out. Not much damage at all. I would like to get a nice Red fox or a Coyote mounted in the near future.

Patrick, Have you ever tried the 200grn XTP'S in your Omega? That's A cheap bullet and it works. I believe Underclock and Kristel killed Deer with that bullet.

Patrick.

Good idea for a new forum!!! :wink: :lol:

Almost got one last week with my string gun... was out deer hunting and saw a nice coyote at about 42 yds. I set up too early and didnt get a shot.

Grouse said:
Patrick, Have you ever tried the 200grn XTP'S in your Omega? That's A cheap bullet and it works. I believe Underclock and Kristel killed Deer with that bullet.

Doubt I'll shoot enough to make cost an issue. I've got so many 245 Spitfires it may be years before I need to use anything different. :shock:

Patrick White said:
Grouse said:

Doubt I'll shoot enough to make cost an issue. I've got so many 245 Spitfires it may be years before I need to use anything different. :shock:

Why dont you try one on a Pig???

Grouse said:
Patrick White said:
Grouse said:

Why dont you try one on a Pig???

Nah. I'll use my Extreme 50 and a Platinum Tip. Did I mention that I LOVE that bullet? :lol:

Pat, It is a delicate balance hunting yotes,the early season young can be duped fairly easy.Late season yotes are entirely different,They are very wary and will all most always swing down wind before commiting.I have chased them for close to 25 yrs.They still make a fool out of me at times.Thier intellegence is not to be under rated.Set up is everything,I try to position in such a manner that they have to expose themselves enroute,while taking the wind into consideration.Thier nose is second to none,as well as thier eyes! Electronic calls have a place in yote hunting, but that place is not in tight quarters.IMO the the electronic callers is great for windy days and wide open areas, to start them in towards you.Then switch to a mouth call or final coaxer to seal the deal! It has been my experience that you can blow a set up quicker than anything by over calling!!!!!!!!!!!I would suggest a electronic caller with a 200 yd remote,they can work extremely well if you set up properly!I do most of my calling with mouth calls.They are extremely effective as you can vary the intensity.You can put so much emotion into the mouth calls! Matching the camo to the terrain is very important.They do not miss anything! I would master the howler as a locater,and master the mouth calls, and use the electronic callers as the situations dictate.Yotes learn quickly, try not to educate them!Practice at your buddies place!!

Back