What's your favorite .223 load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
I figure several on here own a .223 and was just curious to know what has been your favorite load as far as accuracy goes?

Hey Nic!

VERY easy question....27.0gr or 27.5gr of W748 with a WSR. Try both a 50gr V-max and a 50gr TNT.. One of 'em ought to work!

Hey Chuck,
Ever try any Varget or Benchmark in the .223 Remington? I've had great accuracy using the Varget with 55 gr. Ballistic Tips but I'm wanting to try something different in my AR. Can't make up my mind if I want to try W748 or Benchmark first! :? I've got a bunch of 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips leftover from a previous .223 bolt gun that I'm trying to find the perfect load for!

So you think W748 and a WSR is the way to go, huh? :think:

Dont currently have a .223. Back in the early eighties I had a Rem. 700 varmint in .223. I remember using win. brass, 27 gr. 748 with sierra 52 gr. bthp match w/ fed match primers. About .010 off the rifling. It was capable of just about one hole groups if I was having a good day. :)

That was the first gun I reloaded for and I was real pleased. It spoiled me though. I wanted all my centerfire rifles thereafter to shoot like that...ha ha .

To this day..when I read about a rifle being tested by a magazine/with the writer happily
listing results of 1" to 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yds., I think, "thats terrible" :p !

Vince
s.w. Ohio

Hey Chuck,
Ever try any Varget or Benchmark in the .223 Remington?

I've never even bought any Varget, but I've really heard great things about it in SEVERAL caliber! If I were starting out today, I'd probably start out with Varget as one of my powders..

I DO have Benchmark however. I've mostly only tried it in 6BR and 6PPC. I got good results but could better it with VV N-133 or H322 in those calibers..

Latest posts

Back