Thoughts on NEF Huntsman or Sidekick?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swschult

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a second in-line muzzleloader.

My first one was a CVA Buckhorn, and although it does shoot straight, it is hard to put on the 209 primers (you need a special tool), and a thorough cleaning requires a thorough and fairly painstaking disassembly. That said, I'm looking at buying either the NEF Hunstman or Sidekick. I think they're about the same, except that one is GCA/FFL, since it can be fitted with a breechloading barrel. Any comments from owners of either of these NEF muzzleloaders would be greatly appreciated.

NEF Sidekick-A Good Gun

I've had my Sidekick for 2 years now. Have shot 7 does with it. I haven't found a bullet it won't shoot well. Everything seems to group into 1.5 inches or sometimes less at 100 yds. loading 2 Triple 7 pellets or 100g. equiv. of 3F Triple 7 loose. I plan to try some hotter loads in the future. The manual says 120g.equiv. of loose powder or 3 Pyrodex pellets is max. The big primer carriers are easy to load and unload, and are easy to find in your pocket. You can take the breach plug out without disassembling the gun. Some people have complained about the telescoping ramrod, but I dont have any problem using it. RMC sports sells a little better all brass telescoping ramrod that I bought and used this deer season with equal success. The gun's got a decent trigger pull.
I think it's a better gun than some others that cost hundreds of dollars more.

Primer Carriers NEF

Steve,
I don't know how long they last. I haven't worn any out yet. I know I've loaded some more than 10 times, and they still hold a primer tight. They're a bit pricey, though. $12.00 for a pak of 10 carriers at Gander Mt. or Basspro.
Scott

Thanks - I have a 20 ga - thinking of trying the mz barrel.

Latest posts

Back