209 conversion for .50 MK-85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scauper

Reaction score
I recently converted my MK-85 to shoot 209 primers......I'm not so sure this was a good idea because I am having great difficulty in getting the darn thing on the nipple.....the capper seems to be too big for the breech area so I'm having one heck of a time both priming and depriming......I would appreciate any suggestions that would make this task easier and quicker.......at the present rate if a quick follow-up shot is required I'm in deep trouble and I'm really going to have fun trying to cap it in the dark.....almost feel like going back to the no 11 and not hunting in the rain. There is got to be a better way short of buying another gun.

There was a conversion kit that didn't use the red disc the breech plug itself is set up to insert a 209 primer (Both my MK-85s have them) I don't know if they are still available or not, the only draw back they have is sometimes the primer gets stuck and takes the priming tool to pop them out. You might check with Knight and see if they have any still laying around. and I don't think (not 100% sure) that I've ever had one stuck on the 1 couple of 3 shots

Have you tried Knights plastic jacket capper/decapper #900036. It works on my MK-85.

T-7,

There was a plastic capping/d-cping tool that came with the kit....it is difficult to use as it is a tight fit in the breech area just rear-ward of nipple.
Our MZ season is in now ....last night the weather forcast for today was rain showers and figured I'd better use the 209 so got to brain storming....Took a cue tip and a small dab of rail lube (for my cross bow)and put it on the side of the cue tip then applied it to the inside of the plastic plug (the part that slides over the nipple) PRESTO....IT SLIDES RIGHT ON WITH A LITTLE BIT OF THUMB PRESSURE and no need to use the tool......don't know if this will work on a dirty nipple on follow up shot but hoping I won't need one.

Triple 7 said:
Have you tried Knights plastic jacket capper/decapper #900036. It works on my MK-85.
I threw away the tool that came with the kit. It wouldnt fit at all with a scope mounted. I just use my finger to insert the plastic jacket but I carry a small screwdriver to pop the disc out. Believe it or not I got a chance to reload 4 times last week. I killed 2 deer and missed 3. I ran out of bullets while there were 6 deer still feeding around me. I will check into that 900036 tool.
Frank

I was mistaken in my early post, the 900036 capper doesn't work with the MK-85. I was using a straight capper that they used to sell. I talked to Knights customer service today and they are sending me 3 of the straight cappers that will make it easy to put the red disk on. The one that comes with the conversion kit is angled and it doesn't work at all.The early kit let you put the 209 primer in it needed grease on the primer are it would stick in the breach plug and was very difficult to get out. It only worked with Winchester 209's.This is what they told me today. The straight cappers are a warranty item.

Kit

I have a Conversion kit on my MK 85 and The knight stright decapper works much better than the knight angle one.

Franksauto said:
Triple 7 said:
Believe it or not I got a chance to reload 4 times last week. I killed 2 deer and missed 3. I ran out of bullets while there were 6 deer still feeding around me.
Frank

You were'nt in a shooting house by chance? :shock: :wink:

Franksauto said:
Triple 7 said:
I threw away the tool that came with the kit. It wouldnt fit at all with a scope mounted. I just use my finger to insert the plastic jacket but I carry a small screwdriver to pop the disc out. Believe it or not I got a chance to reload 4 times last week. I killed 2 deer and missed 3. I ran out of bullets while there were 6 deer still feeding around me. I will check into that 900036 tool.
Frank

that's a lot of deer. you must be hungry. :shock:

spitpatch,
I was in a regular ladder stand. I dont know what is going on with these deer. You get several shots and they just hang around. This wasnt the first time I had taken more than 1 shot.

n8dawg6
I had 5 tags at the time. I thought I missed the first shot because I got scoped in the nose. By the time the smoke cleared and the stars went away the deer were still hanging around feeding. I reloaded as the tears running down my face were starting to freeze. I shot again. I knew I hit her. I reloaded again. Deer came back. I shot again, not even a flintch. Reloaded and shot again, still no flintch. Reloaded again, you guessed it, missed again. All 5 shots were less than 60 yards. When I got out of the stand I found that I had hit both deer with perfect shots. I don't know what I was doing wrong on the next 3 shots. I thought I knocked the scope out of zero when I hit my nose. I took the gun to the range and it shot perfect. It was just me. Maybe I wasnt seating the bullet down all the way. Anyway I share the meat with my hunting partners. We usually dont get more than 1 or 2 chances at deer all season long around here. I just got lucky.
Frank

man, thats great. we're not allowed to shoot more than 1 deer a day in MS, although you can take five over the course of the season. once i had the adrenaline going, i would have missed the other shots too. heck, i would have gotten worn out just trying to reload a muzzleloader that many times!

ive only gotten bumped in the face by a scope one time in my life, it was a .308 browning BLR with the straight stock, and a cheap tasco scope with hardly any eye relief. i havent shot the gun since.

n8dawg6 said:
man, thats great. we're not allowed to shoot more than 1 deer a day in MS, although you can take five over the course of the season. once i had the adrenaline going, i would have missed the other shots too. heck, i would have gotten worn out just trying to reload a muzzleloader that many times!

ive only gotten bumped in the face by a scope one time in my life, it was a .308 browning BLR with the straight stock, and a cheap tasco scope with hardly any eye relief. i havent shot the gun since.
We are allowed to take 2 deer in one outing. Once the deer are checked in you can go back out and hunt. We get 2 buck tags with our license and you can buy unlimited doe tags in most zones, only 1 per day for $5.00 each. 4 years ago you could only take 2 deer, only 1 in a 24 hour period, no doe permit required with muzzle loader, no inlines, no scopes, no rifled barrels, no sabot slugs and the muzzle loader season was only 3 days long and you could not hunt during that season with a bow. Boy what a change. Thats when I started muzzle loader hunting. The first year I hunted through with a bow. Dont let the unlimited tags fool you. Hunting here is really tough. It's like work. If you are lucky enough to take a deer in the 2 1/2 month season (buck or doe) then you had a great season.
Frank

Back