Cva big bore mountain .54 cal kit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always wanted a 54, have a 50,and a 58 I built from kits . Also a 50 Mountain pistol I built.

The only thing about this kit I am not a fan of is that the breach plug is crooked and the under rib is missing so I am trying to hunt one down

Quality seems a bit low with breach plug not installed properly and missing parts. Kits are the best they day you shoot what came out of a box.

Enjoy your build. I look forward to seeing the completion and range results 😎

Looking forward to the result as well. A word on the breech plug though; make sure the threads are good both for the plug as well a the barrel. You don't want the plug to fail on you because of bad threads. Don't be afraid to take it to a gunsmith if in doubt. How "crooked" is it?

It is barley off, I couldn't tell until I tried to hook it into the tang16186079482893845092384702366294.jpg

Consulted with the local muzzleloader shop and their gunsmith is going to take a look at it when the under rib comes in from TOTW, oh BTW the under rib did not come with the kit so I had to order one and the shortest one totw had available was 20" so the gunsmith is going to potentially cut it to length and drill and tap

So I've been going along with my sanding routine and I am about done with the sanding portion and getting ready for the stain. Should I wait to finish the stock until the barrel is back from the gunsmith (assuming they can attach the under rib and straighten out the plug) or go ahead and finish up the project minus the barrel assembly and browning?

So I've been going along with my sanding routine and I am about done with the sanding portion and getting ready for the stain. Should I wait to finish the stock until the barrel is back from the gunsmith (assuming they can attach the under rib and straighten out the plug) or go ahead and finish up the project minus the barrel assembly and browning?
I personally finish stock and barrel separately assuming all fitting is complete. That way I can do hand rubbed Truoil as the barrel rust blues or browns. When each is done to satisfaction they are married and taken to the range. 🙂

I was told that the wood wouldn’t take a stain well so used dye instead. Came out nice no matter what.

Be advised that CVA used a patent breech plug, and the bolster drum screws into it. And to make things even more interesting, the bolster drum goes through the breech and screws into the other side. They were installed that way, then drilled from the muzzle to open them to the powder charge. The instructions were NOT to try to remove the breech plug, for obvious reasons. If necessary, you can cut the barrel just ahead of the breechplug, install a regular flat faced one and a new, "normal" bolster drum and cut new dovetails for the under lugs in the appropriate positions to match the wedges.

Please don't ask how I know this.....

Last edited:
Well thats cool this kit is starting to cost more and more lol I ll just take this as a lesson to be more patient and wait for something exactly what I want instead of settling

I think CVA discontinued the traditional models around 2001 and sold all the existing sidelock inventory to Deer Creek. I would think all of CVA's guarentee/warrentee responsibility ended at that point.

-Joe

Actually, I believe Traditions is importing what CVA dropped. Jonathan can probably help out here. They may have a different way of installing the drum (I said bolster in my previous post, it should be the drum as the bolster is part of the lock and supports the drum), in which case theirs may be available to help you out.

It's an old kit, I have a plan in place as of now to get everything in working order it's just going to take more time than I originally had in place

Latest posts

Back