Re: Finally burnt some BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NimrodRx

Reaction score
Forgive me fellas, this was a VERY rudamentary test. Actually it wasn't even a test. It was a matter of the rain quit for a couple hours, my wife got home from work, watched the kids, and I snuck out the back door for an hour.

I just had a hunch you guys would like a little feed back.

I normally shoot at a beautiful range two miles from our house. It closes at 5:00. That's the same time the store that my wife works at closes. She got home at 5:30 and by 5:45 I had a couple saw horses set up in the back yard with a 3/4 sheet of plywood and a lawn chair behind it.

Conditions were FAR less than optimal. NE wind at 10-12 mph. Evil eye from the wife for walking out the door when she walked in and a setting sun in my face....

So here's the skinny.

Rifle: Knight Disc Elite .45 cal with non plastic jacket breach plug conversion.

3-9X40 Pentax White Tails Unlimited scope.

CCI 209M primer.

I had two bullets and three sabots on hand. The bullets were Barnes 180 gr Expanders and Barnes 195 gr Expanders. The sabots were some MMPs that I baught seperately and the blue sabots that came wiht the 180gr Barnes (I think these might be a Harvester sabot), and the tan sabots that came with the 195 gr Expanders (these were packaged as Knight Red Hots).

All bullet sabot combos were too loose. The blue sabot 180 Expanders practicly slid down the bore like snot. Replacing the blue sabot with a MMP sabot helped, but it was still too loose.

The best fit came from the 195gr Expander with the brown "Red Hot" sabot. Still too loose, but at least it felt like it was engaging the rifleing.

The velocity is there. Now I just need to find the sweet spot.

100gr of BH209 with 180 gr Expander and MMP sabot
1. 2286 fps
2 2233 fps
3. 2292 fps.

1.5 inch group at 100 yards.

100gr BH 209 195 gr Expander "Red Hot" sabot.

1. 2263 fps
2. 2210
3. 2213

2.20 inch group at 100 yards

180 gr Expander with MMP sabot and [/b]150 gr BH209
1. 2718 fps
2. 2785
3. 2738 fps

Accuracy went even further south. This group measured just south of 5 inches.

Again, all loads fealt too loose. I need a tighter fitting sabot. I'm going to have to do some looking at the wonder wads.

Recoil from the 150gr load was surprisinglye mild. I'd compare it to a stout load out of my .30-06. Like a 200gr .30-06 load. Not for the weekend warrior, but very shootable. And at 2700+ fps.... That's a little scary. I was flat out shocked by the velocity. I shot one of my .22s over the chrony just to make sure it wasn't hay wire, sure enough 1149 fps....

My fear is that I will never find a sabot to stand up to a 150gr charge. So be it. I'd be happy with 2500fps.

Why the "poor" accuracy with a 100 gr charge? I was shooting as fast as I could. Had to get back into the house before the "boss" gave me hell.

My experience with smokeless and the 10MLII has taught me the iomportance of bbl cooling. I didn't allow for that here. It looks like that is going to be paramount with this powder.

Forgot to mention. 16 shots fired. NO swabbing. Every round loaded like the first. Fouling seemed very compirable to a CF.

"Smoke" was surprisinly pronounced. Not as much as produced by T7 or Pyrodex, but still a fair amount. Enough that my sight picture was completely closed.

So what have I learned and where do I go from here.

I need a tighter fitting sabot for the .45 Can someone recommend a wonder wad to help with this? I'm runing out of sabots.

Velocity from this stuff is remarkable. Keep in mind, you're essentially using a "drop tube" when measuring this stuff out of a flask. I will likely abandon the 150gr charge and start looking at a 130gr charge.

Good news: the Disc Elites with the breach plug conversion ignite it every time. Clean up was a snap. I tore the rifle down and was amazed at how littl fowling accumulated. I littleraly turned the BP out with two fingers. Very little effort.

It appears to be as finicky as smokeless loads out of the MLII. For tiny groups, prolonged bbl cooling seems to be in order.

Again, my experience is VERY limited.

I'm going to shoot it out of my 50 cal tomorrow. This rifle is a proven sub MOA shooter with T7. VERY interested to see what the resulst are.

I'm also going to shoot it tomorrow out of the .45 at a much sloweer pace. Going to mix it in with patterning my brother's new turkey gun. I'm also going to cut out some "swatches" from a magazine and place them between the bullet and the sabot. Not ideal, but I have got to tighten these up until I can find the correct wonder wad.

Initial impression: potential, potential, potentional.

Initial impression: tweaking, sabot, bbl cooling

Hey Nimrodx. Try rolling those bullets between two course files. That will knurl them up to give ya sufficient diameter for stiffer loading. OR......
paper patching is a proven technique for accoplishing this same thing. Simply wrap (encircle) the bearing surface of the bullet with the appropriate thickness of paper, and insert into sabot. There is alittle trick to this that I will try to find the link to that will sped this process up and make it uniform every time. I will find the link and post it for ya.
By the way, that was a great range report!!!! And great shooting.

Wow!! I have been waiting to hear how you did with this and this is great news. My 45 Extreme will be getting fed some of this and you may want to try some 200 gr shockwaves in yours. They load with about the same difficulty in mine as my Rem .458 in a orange MMP in my Savage.

DC

nice range report..

Those are some amazing numbers. Hard to argue that kind of velocity, but I can also see some anti inline people just latching on to that.

The no swabbing is a good thing. I like that idea a lot.

WOW :shock: 8)

I'm on board :D

Did you have any of the MMP Tan 40/45cal sabots?

Don't forget the MMP/PRBullet Orange 357/45cal sabots, with a .358 Hornady rifle bullet--This WILL be tight enough :D :wink:

Just Amazing velocitys :shock: :D 8)

Good info. My 2 bottles of BH209 were delivered today.

By the way...the guy in the brown truck just left it. No signature. I was never sent a tracking # like I was told I would. Of course there were explosive & hazardous tags all over the box. Go figure.

I know the brown truck driver. He leaves everything. Never knocks and asks for a sig.

Nimrod

How did the primers look after the 150g shots? Did they eject smoothly? Were they swollen or had the cups flooded back? Any signs of excessive pressure ?

Busta said:
Doohan said:
Underclocked said:
shoot some conicals, shoot some conicals! :wink:

I did... 8)

Well?

I shot a couple of the bullshop makes into ballistic gel with 65gr of BH 209 and it seemed to shoot well..

All were shot in a Knight Extreme w/ FPJ conversion, CCI primers.. Ignition was flawless.

Thanks JJ.

Did you use a wad of any sort? I have some .060" x .518" fiber gasket wads that I was thinking bout trying under some conicals. I was also thinking bout 60 - 65 grains.

I did use a wad but am unsure of what size.. Lungbuster sent them to me so I will await his reply.

Busta,

Have you shot any of this powder yet ?

Lane, the primers were fine after the 150gr load. No signs of psi at all.

Okay, so I took some scotch tape and wrapped the 180gr Expanders twice with it. Then put them in a MMP sabot. They were definately tighter, but I'm still thinking of looking for a different sabot.

Shot the same rifle again. Has not been cleaned. The following are my velocities from 100gr BH209 and the "taped" 180gr Expander with a MMP sabot.

The five shot group measured 2.6 inches at 100 yrds. Not the kind of accuracy I'm looking for. But a starting point.

I shot two 120 gr BH209 charges with the same bullet before running out of time.

Identicle velocities. Kinda spooky. And yes, it did read both times. My buddy shot his savage over it in between my two shots and at least a dozen .22 rounds (shot the .22s while we were waiting for bbl cooling). The shots were on the same horizontal plane, but three inches apart. Hard to tell. I coulda pulled it?

I also shot 3 rounds out of my .50 cal Elite. With 100gr of T7 and a 250gr Expander, this is the most accurate MLer we have. Shoots sub MOA all day long with this load.

Here's the important part. I LEFT THE ORIGINAL BREACH PLUG IN IT! Figured I'd see what happened. Had some red jackets primed with Winchester 209 primers. I was expecting the worst - wouldn't light or hang fire. To my surprise, all rounds went off flawlessly. It's only three rounds, but it appears that the jacketless conversion might not be necessary if you have the original plug.

Group measured 3.2 inches.

My initial impression is that this stuff behaves much more like smokeless than it does a BP sub. I think bbl cooling and sabot fit are going to be paramount. I believe this is why the group with my .50 cal went south. That sabot isn't tight enough either. I think it's easier to get away with that using T7. But then, what do I know....

I do know this. After nearly 20 rounds on two different days, each bullet loads like the first. The 100gr load with the 180 gr Expander is a pussy cat.

I have not reached suitable accuracy yet. I really want to stick with the 180 Expander (picked up a bunch of them cheap). I'm going to do some more expiramenting with sabots. Might try paper instead of the tape too.

More to come.

Yes I shot it out of my NEF Huntsman with the .25 ACP plug (CCI 400 small rifle primers) 3 times on Saturday, good ignition with 80 grains and a Cheap Shot sabot. Will get some Small Rifle Magnum Primers for extra insurance in the future. Don't know what it will do when the temps are down around Zero though, guess I will find out next winter.

Then I tried it once in my White Thunder with #11 plug (RWS 1075 Plus caps), hang fire. Just had to try.

I will try to do some more shooting this week/weekend.

good news as I am going to try a Sidekick in the near future with the factory ignition.

I hope it goes bang!

JJ

The Conicals that you shot was .504 , 460gr NEX & 445gr UC Shorts
the wads I sent you was a .510 carded wad I think 1/8" thick .

The pic of the other one you PM me was a 300gr Harvester SaberTooth
and boy did it Shroom out Awsome Do you remember what the penatration was ? I'll guess about 17" !

Cant wait to see the 44cal (.429.5 ) 300gr Seirra with 100gr
and the 44cal ( .430 ) 300gr XTPs with 100gr they should be Awsome.

I hope so because I have about 600 or 700 of ea.

Ron

Latest posts

Back