Goex Pinnacle vs Jim Shocky gold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
I was only able to find 2 kinds of powder.Goex Pinnacle and JS Gold,both FFG
Anyone have any prefrence 1 over the other.I have powebelt 245's and 295"s for testing out on my sidelock

I don't have a lot (any) experience with the Goex, but the JSG is a good powder, just a little finnicky. With JSG it's important to maintain a consistent pressure when seating the bullet. It also works best with a tight fitting sabot. I'm sure others can tell you more about both.

Goex Pinnacle is made in cooperation by Goex through American Pioneer Powder. The same people (APP) that makes the Shockey Gold. I've shot a lot of Pinnacle in 3f grade. In the 2f grade you will find it very course. Almost like fish gravel. In fact out of some funnel powder measures the granules are too large to pour.

As for shooting conicals with it.. it is not a fast burning powder like the Triple Se7en powder is. For conicals, I would stick with Triple Se7en 3f, Pyrodex P or Goex 3f. If all you can find is Pinnacle or JSG they are both going to shoot about the same.

You do not have to swab with either the Pinnacle or the JSG powder. You might have better luck shooting a sabot with these powders, but all you can do is try. With the powerbelts try about 80 grains of powder and see how they work.

Thanks guy's.
I need to find a source for powder around my area so I dont have to pay the high shipping prices.

Dave, I will try the 80grn and see how it works,I did get a new nipple for the 50cal barrel,the 45cal is not here yet.

IMO, these are the least preferable powders on the market. I had much rather have Pyrodex or Triple Se7en to those. Velocities will be a good bit less and shot to shot velocity deviation will be high as compared to Pyrodex or Triple Se7en. If you HAVE to use these powders by all means use fffg as ffg is as course as rock salt.

I have not opened either powder,maybe I can return them and find some other powder.
I may need to order of the web,what would be your numer 1 pick? for either my Encore or the Hawken?

I was able to find some fffg pyrodex 777 today and traded the Goex ffg pinnacle for it.I feel better now.

Pyrodex P is a good powder. I was shooting it today with excellent results.

saxman1 said:
Is the P designation for Pistol?

Its their designation for the finer grade of pyrodex very comparable to the 3F designation for Black Powder or Trip 7

DC

saxman1 said:
Is the P designation for Pistol?

Yeah it IS but that will be fine. Usually used for pistols and .45cal and smaller but it will be fine as long as you don't over-do it. As mentioned it is a finer grain and actually measures out really good. I had MUCH rather have that than either of the other two you mentioned!

I'd probably start out with about 90gr with the bullets you mentioned. GO SHOOTING! :D

Both JSG and Pinnacle are good powders if you work with them. Both like very tight fitting sabots. Both like to be tamped hard. Lean on that ramrod in a consistent manner and your accuracy will greatly improve. I can fire 25 rounds with JSG or Pinnacle and the breech plug comes out very easily. That does not happen with 777 or Pyrodex. Cleanup is very easy when using JSG or Pinnacle.

Last week end a friend of mine shot his Encore over the chronograph. 120 grains of FFFG Pinnacle gave the same velocity as 105 grains of 777.

powder

Saxman, I'm sure you know but don't push those powerbelts hard out of the Encore,Start at 85 grains and work up as I have found the Encore performs better for some reason w a stouter load. In addition you will find T7 hotter than the powders you listed. But that is the fun of a shooting session.

Saxman, You know what the limit is already with Pyrodex on those 245's.

If its FFFg, use 80 grains with both the 245 and 295g Powerbelts.

Those 270g Platinums also are an excellent bullet.

Cant wait to see that Lyman of your on the range. Those are great shooters.

saxman, I like shooting pyrodex p in my knight. I have a source (when they have it in stock) that sales it for about $14.99, but I bought them out and they never got any back in. had great luck with powerbelts and saboted rounds. I know with 90% of what I shoot with it likes 85grs.

I been toying with idea of trying the app powders. just have not broke bought any. Then I found a local source for goex and well, kinda dropped the idea.

Latest posts

Back