Remington .44 240 JHP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone use them? Nice looking bullet and it expands well with modest charges and holds onto their cores. An added bonus is thet're cheap! I tried them with 50 and 60 gr of 3f T7 and got 2- 2 1/2 inch 3 rounders at 100. Havent chrono'd yet , but velocities should be 15-1600 fps.

light load

minst7877, That is one of the reasons I decided to try them.Ever since a car accident 3 years ago, recoil and I haven't been friends. When I first started shooting inlines I loaded T/C Cheap Shots over 40 gr of 3f T7 and got 1350fps from a Traditions Tracker 209.Between my daughter and I , that load has resulted in 9 deer with 10 shots at ranges from 15 feet to 115 yards. All but 2 were complete pass throughs. The 115 yard shot was a quartering to chest shot and was a bang flop. Loads in the 44 mag / 44-40 rifle levels have been taking deer for a long time and are both economical and very plesant to shoot.As I said though , the big surprise is that these Remingtons hold their cores ( in dirt) better than the Hornady XTP's. outstanding expansion at modest velocities , core retention and decent accuracy seem to point towards a winner.

i wouldnt have a problem trying them especially for that price, and if i wanted to hunt with them , i would do my own field test with them just to see how they hold up on different impact tests. By the way they sell pistol bullets all the time packaged for muzzle loaders. i did my own test on the xtps and found them to be excellent FOR ME

CR-

Why are you looking to get away from the Cheapshots? At lower powder charges, I have found them to be some of the best performers on deer. They expand and hold together well. I am glad to hear someone else is seeing good results with lower powder charges. I have an eye issue (prone to retinal detachment :cry: ) so it has been suggested I keep recoil on the mild side. At the ranges I hunt (usually far less than 100 yards) I have not had any problem.

remmy 240's

Not necessarily looking to get away from the Cheap Shots, they are a great bullet, but its nice to have other options.The xtp's are more accurate ( the 300 grainers are scarey) and both the C.S.' and the XTP's wreck deer most thoroughly I'm also trying a variety of bullets incase scrounging projectiles ever becomes a necessity.You never know ...

Good point. I know I can't keep from trying a new bullet every range session. I just got a new Rossi Miniloader (for my daughter if the wife asks) and have already tried 155 gr XTP's, 180 gr Cheapshots, 200 gr SST's, 200 gr xtp's and 240 gr QT PR bullets. All are .40 cal in .45 cal sabots. All shoot well enough to kill deer, sub 1" CTC at 50 yards with 60 gr of t7 2f. Seems like the heavier the bullet, the smaller the group. It is good to have options, and know all of them will do the job. I think I will start with the heaviest and work down. Not sure if the 200 gr SST is a good idea on deer at ~1600 fps muzzle velocity, but I know the PR bullets, 200 gr XTP's and 180 CS's will all do fine at that velocity. I should have enough bullets to kill deer for several years even if I shoot 20 or so for practice out of that gun every year!

I've killed 9 deer with 240's from Ruger 44. I was using them in my NEF but gave that rifle to my son-in-law. He is still using 240 XTP but doesn't get out enough to have got a shot at a deer using them. :)

i had some of those cheap shots and thought they were a really accurate shot. I even thought about hunting with them last yr but i shot them all up and stayed with the hornadys. With the range i shoot at (which is thick brush) i have no doubt that the cheap shots would do the trick on a hog or deer. If you find your self shooting alot dont buy the cheap shots get the hornadys in bulk and save some money.

Back