CVA Wolf/Blackhorn 209 corrosion test...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how it works in flintlocks? I sold all my other types of muzzleloaders and just have the 3 goex snorting flinters :lol:

No smelly stuff when it goes off? Thats no fun! Thats part of the ball game.

It only works in sealed 209 ignition rifles.. So you will be one with your GOEX. 8)

big6x6 said:
[quote="quote] I didn't go the trouble of figuring the SD but of course ES is easy as I write down the velocity of every shot in my log book. Shot to shot ES was very low. Example: Knight KRB/100gr BH209/275gr Ballistic Extreme- low 1766fps high 1782fps for 10 shots... ES-16 fps. Same load from a Knight LRH- low 1777fps high 1804fps for 10 shots ES-27fps. AWESOME for volumetically measured powder charges. Reason? Absolutely NO change in product consistancy from the top of the can to the bottom.
[/quote]

WOW!! that's as good as a lot of centerfire ammo that I have reloaded and chrono'd

Big6X6,

My dad and I were talking last night about ML stuff and I mentioned this experiment. Unfortunately, he doesn't not have the internet so I relay info to him. We're very interested in BH209. After what I've seen, read, and heard about it, I'm tempted to go ahead and spend the extra $ and order some instead of waiting for it to hopefully become available locally.

ANYWAY, he mentioned something that might be worth trying. Since the gun's been sitting around for a while, take it back out to the range (without cleaning) and shoot it some more to see if the point of impact has changed any.

What are your thoughts?

NYWAY, he mentioned something that might be worth trying. Since the gun's been sitting around for a while, take it back out to the range (without cleaning) and shoot it some more to see if the point of impact has changed any

Yeah I had planned on doing exactly that.

Have you taken out the breech plug to see what the face on the plug looks like and if theres any build up?

Well I finally cleaned the Wolf from one end to the other with Hoppes #9. The gun looks practically brand new. No hint of corrosion anywhere I can see. The bore looks great! I'll be GLAD to shoot it again Wednesday if you all want me to and then not clean for a while AGAIN! What do you think?

BTW...TONIGHT I put the numbers 1-21 in a hat tonight for Nicole to draw. The numbers correspond to each $10.00 contributor. Nicole drew from the hat and believe it or not Lucky Number Thirteen is the one that's going to get the Wolf! Wonder who that is?

big6x6 said:
Well I finally cleaned the Wolf from one end to the other with Hoppes #9. The gun looks practically brand new. No hint of corrosion anywhere I can see. The bore looks great! I'll be GLAD to shoot it again Wednesday if you all want me to and then not clean for a while AGAIN! What do you think?

BTW...TONIGHT I put the numbers 1-21 in a hat tonight for Nicole to draw. The numbers correspond to each $10.00 contributor. Nicole drew from the hat and believe it or not Lucky Number Thirteen is the one that's going to get the Wolf! Wonder who that is?
Hey Chuck, so how long was the gun left between the time you shot it and cleaned it? Thanks Joe

billyzink said:
big6x6 said:

Hey Chuck, so how long was the gun left between the time you shot it and cleaned it? Thanks Joe

One month! You think that is long enough?

Pardon me there Chuck, but I ahh, sorta made a guess there about the drawing....Ya know I said...Mark T or 416LT

So is it one of these guys...or not :?: :)

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol:

lane said:
Pardon me there Chuck, but I ahh, sorta made a guess there about the drawing....Ya know I said...Mark T or 416LT

So is it one of these guys...or not :?: :)

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol:

NOPE! :D

big6x6 said:
billyzink said:
big6x6 said:

One month! You think that is long enough?
I would think so, although our deer season runs about two months. I probably would not want to leave my guns go that long anyway without cleaning.

Chuck,

I took a quick look at the thread and if you went by the order of pledges, I am guessing Lungbusters buddy. If you are going by the order of money received, then I am guessing Spit. But if you randomly wrote down names to numbers, well then that is anyones guess. :)

I would like to than you for doing this test. Good luck everybody in the drawing!

That was a GREAT guess Busta! Spit was #12.....and #20(he sent $20 so he got two numbers!

Hammerspur YOU get the Wolf!

Hay Hammerspur

CONGRATS ON THE WOLF Thats Awsome ! :applause: :applause:

And Chuck I take my Hat off to you for doing the test for everyone
Thank you so very much! :D :D :D

LB1
Ron

wolf test

Chugk thanks for taking your time for the test. I know you would rather be buying another ML or something for the gun case rather playing w/ corrosion. Hammerspur, great luck and let is know when the fiorst deer is down w/ that gun!! It will have a history and story for whomever shoots it and was part of the experimant.

Chuck,
Thanks for dragging your bones out to the range to shoot. I know it must have been a struggle.

Really...thanks for the time & effort. Actually, it's groundbreaking info for corrosion testing B209 as well as loading, accuracy & velocity. I'm sure all contributors and readers of this forum appreciate it!

Hammerspur,
Congrats & good luck. I doubt we will see it but please inform us if something bad eventually shows up on the gun. :D

big6X6

Did you get a chance to take the gun to the range again before you cleaned it? What kind of groups did you get?

Latest posts

Back