Recoil Lugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck 762

Reaction score
Do most 'bolt action' muzzleloaders have only one recoil lug? I recently bought a Knight Disc Elite (.45 cal) and am having the darndest time trying to get acceptable 100 yard groups. With only the one lug and no upward pressure on the forend, I essentially have a teeter-totter. All shooting is done from a bench, with loose Triple 7 FFG and Triple 7 FFFG of various charges from 90 grains to 120 grains. I swab the bbl between shots and try to compress the charge the same every time. Any advice will be appreciated.

From what Ive seen, yes, most bolt action mz do just have the one lug. I have mostly had Knight rifles and all of them have the teeter totter if you grasp them around the fore end and squeeze. I do not know that it effects the accuracy as I have had some respectable groups from mine. I have bedded two of the rifles I have owned and relieved the front end so the barrel is free floating and to be really honest- I do not think it made a huge difference. I do have a new one that I swear I will not touch until it proves to be sub par in the accuracy dept. With the others- I did not keep good notes, track of my targets and know as much as I have learned from the others here- so I had no baseline to see if my "accurizing" made a difference.

Depending on what material your stock is (laminate, wood or synthetic), glass bedding could improve your situation. Some other things to address ( as written to me by others here when I started asking) are to make sure your scope bases are good quality and tight, ditto on your rings, have a quality scope, get Knight to adjust your trigger pull to 2 1/2 to 3# and eliminate possible problems in your system that you can control before modifying your gun. I would strongly advise several range sessions with taking well detailed notes of loads, bench rest techniques, any other nuances, equipment and components so you do have a well established baseline. Dont get me wrong I hate writing any more than I have to but since I have been doing this I can put my finger on things that can change groups ( shooting with mouth open versus mouth closed is one). Once you have established this baseline I would suggest doing one part at a time, maybe starting with making sure the front end is free floated. Shoot and record. Now maybe the bedding of the recoil lug itself. Shoot and record. And it goes on and on, just do it slowly so you can say what helped and what didnt. I purchased a Miles Gilbert Bedrock kit from Midway ( can usually catch them on sale for $15) and it does have some really good directions but you will find none that are addressing Muzzleloaders. Im speaking from experience here in stating take it slowly and keep good notes.

Buck I believe the elites were made so the bbl floats. When shooting off a bench dont put presure on the bbl.

Thanks to you both for your replies. I've been keeping good notes from my range trips over the years (stemmed from reloading for rifles). Since I've made the original post, I've done some fitting of the barrel to the stock and have seen great improvement! I use a 'bull bag' on the forearm and a regular sand bag under the butt. Groups got much better then all-of-a-sudden, they turned erradic. Scope bases and rings loosened a little so, I tighteded then up and applied lock-tite but haven't been back to the range since. Hope that's all it was. Before my groups opened back up, I was inside of one inch with 220 gr Dead Center and 110 gr of Triple 7 FFF. Thanks again for your replies. I'll keep y'all informed of my results.

Buck,
My Disc Elite 45 and many others as well, love Barnes Spitfire in 195, and 110-120 777 ffg.

Let us know how the next range trip works out!

Appreciate it brother. Just ordered some 200 gr Dead Centers before reading your reply. I will however, write the 195 gr Barnes Spitfire and powder charges for later reference. Thanks again to all who've given their advice freely. Keep smilin' y'all!

Back