Widow Maker...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndeer

Reaction score
that's my new handle in the TN turkey woods. Opening day, last Saturday, I went to one of hunting haunts, and promptly heard a couple of hammering gobblers. I gave them a few little yelps, adn waited for them to fly down. Unfortunately, when they flew down, one gobbled 2-3 times, then nothing. His buddy went completely shut mouth off the roost. I tried some aggresive cuts and yelps, but to no avail. The birds were actually on a neighboring farm, so i couldn't approach them. i did move up the hill, and tried different calls, but no dice. I left those ole boys for another day, and went to a different farm. I climbed the ridge on the new farm, and did some calling. Couldn't get any responses. After more fruitless calling, I went down to the truck, and called my brother in alabama. Suddenly, as I was talking to him, here comes a long procession of hens out of the neighbor's field, headed up the ridge to the farm I just left. In tow, where 2 longbeards. I told my brother the hunt was on again, and again made the long climb up the ridge. I set up in an old logging road, and began calling on my Woodhaven mouth call. Nothing--- switched to a Knight and Hale call, got higher pitch yelps. Immediately, a hen answered me. She was committed to find the interloper, and proceeded in my direction. Unfortunately, she popped up to my left, so I took a chance on moving the gun. The wary eyed hen saw me move and got nervous, beginning to move away. suddenly, i saw a red head moving through the woods. When he stepped out into the log road, about 30 yds uphill, i placed the red dot sight on his ole warty head. When the 11-87 Remington roared, a hefty load of Winchester # 6 High Velocity shot ended any furher romantic entanglements with the little prissy hen. She is now in need of a new lover, and can collect surviour benefits. He weighted 22 lbs, 10 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs. I was one happy camper headed down the hill for a second time, but now with a tom turkey who followed the wrong woman to his demise.
032908_0937a.jpg

Alright! :yeah: How many more can you take there in TN? Our season starts in three weeks, we're only allowed one in the spring. :cry:

We can take 4 in the spring. I went out this morning before work and heard a gobbler. Hope he is still in the area come Saturday. I want to get one more TN tom, then off to Alabama. Those birds are tougher to kill than TN birds.

Way to hunt.. sometimes you just need to ruin a relationship .. don't ya! :D :)

Some are henned up, but some are looking. Weather has been a factor here also. Lots of rain and cooler days.

Latest posts

Back