cva accura or tc pro hunter fx advise

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaconda44

Reaction score
hello thinking of getting a new muzzleloader for xmax. maybe a cva accura   a t/c pro hunter fx or maybe even a regular t/c encore with the interchangeable barrel

the last inline I bought was a cva electra it shoots real good and I have a older version Remington 700ml I got it the first year they came out. got it for xmas and got a deer the next day in our Ohio muzzle loader season. I have taken a lot of deer with it. in regular deer season and muzzleloader season.  kind of grown attached to it. LOL. I know some people didn't like them but it always shot good for me . and it has the no. 11 cap nipple installed and I only use black powder in it. so it has been 100% reliable for me . but I don't think the new Remington is worth the price or am I wrong on that.?

I also have a lot of t/c side locks flints and percussions. Hawkins, Seneca's ,Cherokees, and long rifles ect. I just like older t/c muzzle loaders

but just looking for something new. and I heard there might be some issues with the pro hunters.? does anyone have one and how does it shoot. any issues or advise

would a regular t/c encore be better that the pro hunter.?

how about the cva accura.? my cva electra is accurate. any good loads and accuracy  with the accura.?

just looking for real world shooters experiences and advise.

Please any help or advise good or bad I would be grateful
Thank you

Both the Accura and the FX are really great muzzleloaders.  Each have their pros and cons.  I own an FX and it shoots really good.  It loves the 250 Barnes TEZ and Hornady SST.  My nephew owns the Accura and it too, is exceptionally accurate.  I prefer the look and feel of the FX but absolutely love the finger removable breech of the Accura.  You truly cannot go wrong with either.

:D
My Accura V2 and MR love Parker Ballistic Extreme 275 grain bullet with the Harvester EZ- Load smooth sabots. They also like the Harvester PT GOLD'S 260 and 300 grain bullets with the same sabot.
I use Black horn 209, 110 grains, by volume, and Fiocchi 616 209 Primers. 
I know that the powder is expensive but I have shot as many as 50 rounds and NEVER SWABBED THE BARREL ONCE. I have pulled my breech plug about every 7 or 8 shots and cleared it of carbon.
Accuracy and consistency is second to none..................Remember, you get what you pay for as the old saying goes.
8-18-20124.jpg

As you can see what I mean. Both bullets, same load, sabot and primer. No scope adjustment.

GOOD LUCK,

Ray.............. :Red tup:

do they still have the problem with the breech plug on the tc pro hunter fx.? hard to get out or did they up date the plug. with the plug from the pro hunter xt barrel fit the fx.....?

those are some nice groups hawgslayer

If you decide to buy a CVA V2 or MR, get a hold of Carlos here on the forum. He'll fix you. He's helped a lot of members here including me and he won't stir you wrong. He also has everything you need for ML'ing...........He goes by...... cvilorio ...... or you can find his number in the ED'S Gun Shop section or find in testing new bullets in the smokeless section...........

Ray.............. :Red tup:

My call would be the ACCURA V2 OR ACCURA MR from Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop. 910-692-7936
He will set the gun up for you for whichever powder you choose ( I suggest BH209) He will have bulets, sabots, powder, scopes, mounts, anything you need & at a better price with the absolute best service. Let us know what you decide - Greg

Either one would be a great gun to have, If you can go some place and see how they feel and shoulder, it is hard to tell you what one would be the best for you. I have not shot a TC, but I have some friends that have them and they say that is the only gun to have. 
I myself own and shoot the CVA MR's, and have had the ACCURA V2, along with other CVA'S. You can check the Range reports to get an idea as to how they shoot and some good info as to what loads would work for that set up. If you have some question about a certain set up, Carlos would help out. 

Dave

My vote is get a hunter bolt nose kit for your remington. It will do everything the others will and you do not have a learning curve. Even convert to smokeless for not much more than you are talking.(can still shoot BP and subs if you don't care for smokeless).
      Unless you've just got the fever!

stude 283 said:
My vote is get a hunter bolt nose kit for your remington. It will do everything the others will and you do not have a learning curve. Even convert to smokeless for not much more than you are talking.(can still shoot BP and subs if you don't care for smokeless).
      Unless you've just got the fever!
 yea I have been looking at some thumbhole stocks for it and thought about the 209 conversion. how much does the hunter bolt mod cost.?
I also saw this conversion http://www.muzzleloadingbullets.com/Remington-700ML-Blackhorn-209-Conversion-Kit-p/rem700bh209kit.htm

GregK said:
My call would be the ACCURA V2 OR ACCURA MR from Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop. 910-692-7936
He will set the gun up for you for whichever powder you choose ( I suggest BH209) He will have bulets, sabots, powder, scopes, mounts, anything you need & at a better price with the absolute best service. Let us know what you decide - Greg
I wonder if he carry's this cva http://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/cva/accura/pr3116slc.php

or these tc rifles
http://muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/thompson-center/pro-hunter-fx/thompson-center-pro-hunter-fx-camo-5799ls.php

http://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/thompson-center/pro-hunter-fx/thompson-center-pro-hunter-fx-camo-5799.php

im not sure but I heard it might be better to buy the encore with the xt breech plug. the removable barrel version  but you hve to do the ffl paper work but not a big deal at all.

anaconda44 said:
GregK said:
I wonder if he carry's this cva http://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/cva/accura/pr3116slc.php

or these tc rifles
http://muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/thompson-center/pro-hunter-fx/thompson-center-pro-hunter-fx-camo-5799ls.php

http://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/thompson-center/pro-hunter-fx/thompson-center-pro-hunter-fx-camo-5799.php

im not sure but I heard it might be better to buy the encore with the xt breech plug. the removable barrel version  but you hve to do the ffl paper work but not a big deal at all.
Carlos responded to your question in the gun shop forum with prices & opinions. My biggest problem with TC is their tota lack of customer service since S&W bought them out. They have also dropped some of their M/L models, I owned an Encore before there were  multiple models & it had the worst trigger of any gun I've ever owned. The CVA triggers are better than most high end rifles. My APEX in 50 cal turned in a 3/4 in 3 shot group at 200 yards with Lehigh /Knight Bloodline 220gr bullets. My new MR LTd is proving to be just as accurate. Would you be happy with a TC? Maybe, but it's my belief that you can buy a better gun for less money & use that extra to put towards a high quality scope. (Leupold VXR 30mm CDS Firedot comes to mind)

In any case this is my opinion from my experiences & not intended to put down anyone else's choice of firearm -Greg

I had not run across that kit before ,but figured it would show up soon. From what I can see using that kit it would still be a slam fire and have at least some blowby even though it might ignite bh209. The hunter kit supports the primer so after ignition there is still a seal to breech plug. All of the flame is directed to powder,which I would think would make it more dependable.
       I believe the hunter kit is $115 now if you can handle the install(pretty simple) and an extra $25 if you send it to him. Sounds like a lot of money,but I've never heard of anyone unhappy or sorry they bought one.

well I had some good luck today I located a few owners of both guns and also a person with the optima also that are in my gun club. we will be meeting at the range tomorrow. they are going to be checking there guns out for the up coming deer season and they told me to meet them there and watch them shoot and they will let me have a few shots with all of them. and give them a look over.

I have experience with Prohunter,  FX, Accura V2, MR, Triumph, and Omegas. I seem to provide a home for wayward muzzleloaders... All are great just a little different.  I had great  luck with TC customer service this  spring on the Triumph and excellent CS with CVA last week on the Accura V2.  I got equivalent accuracy from all, 1 MOA give or take on any given day.  I currently have the Omega and an MR and will be selling the V2.  I think the TC guns are higher level in fit, finish and quality without question but you pay for that.  The  CVA 's do everything the TC's do at a better  price and I think the MR is a much better feeling gun than any of them.  You may have to adjust headspace on the CVA's to get them clean and the FX has a tight primer pocket which is clean but requires a tool to remove  spent primers when it's cold out if you don't have long fingernails. IF I had to pick just one as my only ML, it would be the Omega for its accuracy and simplicity of design.  I can remove all the trigger group, barrel and BP in a minute and deep clean it, the design of the break actions takes more time and I hate to push out the pins to completely disassemble trigger group.  I would never consider a ML that was not SS and especially dislike Weathershield over blue steel.  I would  recommend that you go with your gut after handling them all.

Tony said:
Both the Accura and the FX are really great muzzleloaders.  Each have their pros and cons.  I own an FX and it shoots really good.  It loves the 250 Barnes TEZ and Hornady SST.  My nephew owns the Accura and it too, is exceptionally accurate.  I prefer the look and feel of the FX but absolutely love the finger removable breech of the Accura.  You truly cannot go wrong with either.
could you tell me what scope rings I need in height  med or high.? for the fx
thanks

Medium should be fine for a scope up to 40mm.  Where you run into problems is the ocular bell on the back of the scope.  Some scope manufacturers have large ones that hinder cocking on the FX.  You can remedy this with a hammer spur or use the swing feature on the hammer to make it easier to cock.  My daughter just rocked a doe with her FX last weekend.  She has a Vortex Crossfire II scope with medium rings and clearance is just fine.

anaconda44 said:
well I had some good luck today I located a few owners of both guns and also a person with the optima also that are in my gun club. we will be meeting at the range tomorrow. they are going to be checking there guns out for the up coming deer season and they told me to meet them there and watch them shoot and they will let me have a few shots with all of them. and give them a look over.
well after the visit to the gun club the first week and a follow up last weekend. I had seen and shot 3 cva accura's v2's
one optima v2 and a tc prohunter fx and a tc prohunter xt. these were the ones I wanted to compare. there were other brands there but I dint shot them.
 first I must say the guys I met out there with there guns had there's dialed in the shoot black powder rifle a lot. and it showed in the technic on loading
and any swabbing and seating pressures. ect.

they were shot with pellets 777 and prodex and whitehots bh2o9-777- and someone had black MZ powder.all 4 shot groups.they gave the option of having the fist shot not count.lol
targets were 100 and 200 yards. all of a bench rest. the accura and tc fx and pro hunter all shot under 1-1/2 in at a hundred yards and all were under 5" at 200 yards
the fx and the cva optima had very tight groups at 100 yards  the optima was shooting black horn209 and the fx was shooting the same. and the best targets from them were under 1" at a hundred yards. and 4-4.75" at 200. loose powder defiantly shot better than pellets. pellets shot 2.5=3.5 at a hundred still very good.tightest pellet group 777 was 6-7" @200

that had been some of the best shooting of muzzleloaders I have ever seen. I was impressed with there shooting I did get to try all of them over the 2 weekends I was there
but  when I shot there rifles I couldn't keep the groups as tight pretty close thought. I should have wrote down what was shot in what gun. but I do have the targets and will post them at a later date. I do believe they have the powder and bullet used on them

now I did give the guns a good look over and fondling. LOL. first I checked the barrel play with the action open. the acurra's defiantly had more side to side play in them. the fx was very tight
I couldn't find any play in it. the prohunter xt had a very tiny amount. very hard to tell. the optima had a tiny bit more that the acurra's. but it shot the best out of the cva muzzleloaders
go figure. maybe it had more time on it.  so what I take from this is the looseness probably didn't matter in these guns they all had very tight lock ups.

now when it came to trigger pull the accura was great the best the optima pretty good both tc where noticeably heavier trigger pull. but when hunting it would be ok.
I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them. fit and finish of the overall guns I like the tc better thought . but the cva is no slouch either.

so what did I go with. Well since my wife is buying it for me for xmax. I went with the prohunter and a leupold ultimateslam 3x9 scope. lol

my birthday is in march and I see the accura thumb hole in the future

The CVA's will have some wiggle due to how easy it is the remove the barrel. The FX has to have the pin punched out every time you want to remove the barrel where as the CVA, you remove the forearm, pull back of the breaching lever and pull the barrel off that easily.

haha for the price, the prohunter isn't that much more than the FX, plus you can get more barrels!

Latest posts

Back