200gr xtps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapcat

Reaction score
Does anyone shoot these out of the blue mmp sabots and how hard can ya push them. I'm thinking of trying them in my LRH up to 120gr of t7 ff. Wonder if pushing them this hard would be alright for whitetails or if it would fragment to much on impact. Kerry

For that velocity the standard 200 SW might hold up better. The XTP is a good bullet but the velocity you would be pushing w/120gr of loose would far exceed the bullet design. For the most part the 200 XTP was designed to go subsonic give or take a little.

Kerry

I shoot these with a Harvester blue crush ribbed Sabot with 110gr 2fg 777
out of my knight Extreme .45cal and they seem to do fine , Super accurate BUT I have not shot any deer with this load yet. so can't say what it will do on a animal ! But if I remmember corectly some one posted a pic on Successful Muzz. Section that had killed a deer with these and I belive 110gr of 777 got a Complete Passthrough. I'll go back and see if I can find it, will let you know!

Ron

Kerry

I whent back and checked I was Wrong Gobbler Getter is the one I was Talking about and he was useing 80gr of 777 and shot the deer at 108yds.
Look at the damage it caused ( XTP came unglued ) under the Muzzleloader Success Section.
I think I will be hunting with these or the 200gr SW this year I have decided to use my .45cal Extreme.

Ron

I have never shot a deer with 120 gr T7 FF, but I know of numerous whitetails taken with 90 gr T7 FFF and 200 xtp this year. :)

Mostly complete pass throughs. One I remember that didn't was a quartering shot that ended up in hind quarter. Distances from 20 to 120 yards. Deer from 80 to - 160 lbs.

As a side note, is the 200 shockwave stronger than the 200 xtp?

younghunter_86 said:
I have never shot a deer with 120 gr T7 FF, but I know of numerous whitetails taken with 90 gr T7 FFF and 200 xtp this year. :)

Mostly complete pass throughs. One I remember that didn't was a quartering shot that ended up in hind quarter. Distances from 20 to 120 yards. Deer from 80 to - 160 lbs.

Yes

And you can push as fast as you want to! Same goes for the 200g SST!

I have shot deer at 6oo yards with that combination and dropped them in their tracks!! But ya gotta hit 'em in the EYE. :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Seriously...110 gr. 777 ffg very accurate...good kill @ 120+ yrds.

lane said:
younghunter_86 said:

Yes

Lane,

Do they market a 200 gr SST? I thought T/C had a deal with Hornady that locked in the 200 gr Shockwaves for themselves.

I have shot a couple deer with the 200 gr Shockwave over 100 gr of BM'3 out of a 24" barrel. If the XTP is more frangible than the Shockwave I would be a little leary using 120 gr Of 777. Both deer only ran 50-60 yards. The first one went through both shoulders at 115 yards, stopped just under the hide on the offside. The bullet weighed 135 grains IIRC, and the jacket seperated when I went to clean it up. The second one went right behind the shoulders at 60 yards, passed through with massave blood trails.

I guess I had this one wrong? :think: I would not have a problem at distances over 100 yds with that combo but I like to think of worst case scenerios when picking a bullet/load combo.

Are you guys saying 120gr 777 FFg/ 200 XTP will perform well at 50 yards or less?

Thanks-

Yes you can buy .400 200 grain Hornaday SST's (with 45 cal. sabots..tan) but not the Blue sabot for 50 cal. That is sewn up with TC.

spit-

What is the holdover on that 600 yd shot? That is a running deer right? 8) :lol:

JJ I think this would be a Good Test For you Balistic Gel.
What do you think! :think: Any Were from 25yds to 125yds.
90gr to 120gr of 2fg loose 777 HMMMMMMM :applause:

Ron

Doohan said:
spit-

What is the holdover on that 600 yd shot? That is a running deer right? 8) :lol:

JJ...

Based on an average of 2083 fps, and a 15 mph cross wind, hold over will be close to 143" and lead should be in the neighborhood of roughly 6ft for every 5 mph of travel speed. This shot should only be attempted by devout Catholics who know the real meaning of the "Hail Mary Shot".

Thanks Guys, First I'll have to find out what load if any the gun would like with the xtps.I would guess for 100yd or less 90 to 100 gr would alow the bullet to do its job if I do mine. The 120gr Idea can as most of my knights like a stiff powder charge. If this darn snow would ever leave I could go and have some fun.
Spit-That 600yd shot-- did ya get him in the eye that was lookin at ya or the one that was lookin where he was goin. :)

Busta said:
lane said:
younghunter_86 said:

Yes

Lane,

Do they market a 200 gr SST? I thought T/C had a deal with Hornady that locked in the 200 gr Shockwaves for themselves.

I have shot a couple deer with the 200 gr Shockwave over 100 gr of BM'3 out of a 24" barrel. If the XTP is more frangible than the Shockwave I would be a little leary using 120 gr Of 777. Both deer only ran 50-60 yards. The first one went through both shoulders at 115 yards, stopped just under the hide on the offside. The bullet weighed 135 grains IIRC, and the jacket seperated when I went to clean it up. The second one went right behind the shoulders at 60 yards, passed through with massave blood trails.

Yes

The 200g SST looks ALMOST the same as the ShockWave. They both shoot to very close to the same point of impact at 100yards, in all my 45cal Disc Elites.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0000367132
hornpic67132.jpg

Even with a 150g of loose 3Fg Pinnacle powder, I can keep them under 2inches, and thats shooting off of folding tables and some bean bags :wink: My second favorite load is 120g Pinnacle and the 200g SST. Shot that 250lb buck at 150yards. He took 2 steps and dropped right there, double lung, one rib going in and 2 ribs going out :D

I am absolutely sold on the SST/Shockwave!

But I am still waiting to re-test some Hornady 200g .358 35 CAL 200 GR SP in the PRBullet 45/.357 Orang Sabots. You only have to get them to about 2000fps, and if they work well....I might have to switch over :shock: :D 8)

3510_rif_bul_35-200_SP_IL.jpg

Guys, check out Doohans report on the smokeless forum "Perma Gel bullet tests" page 3 for the results of the 200 gr Shockwave and 115 gr T7. Great test Doohan!

lungbuster1 said:
JJ I think this would be a Good Test For you Balistic Gel.
What do you think! :think: Any Were from 25yds to 125yds.
90gr to 120gr of 2fg loose 777 HMMMMMMM :applause:

Ron

Yep! I was thinking the same thing! I may shoot a hog with one as well. :lol: 8)

JJ

I have some 200gr XTPs I can send you if you need them to test But I don't have any of the sabots for shooting them out of a 50cal ML I shoot these in my .45cal

Ron

lungbuster1 said:
JJ

I have some 200gr XTPs I can send you if you need them to test But I don't have any of the sabots for shooting them out of a 50cal ML I shoot these in my .45cal

Ron

JJ I also have the ShockWaves AND the 50cal Sabots :shock: :D A sample could be in the mail tomorrow :wink:

Could save ya buying a whole box of bullets, if they don't fit right.

What do ya say :?: :?: :?:

Latest posts

Back