lead bullet vs jacketed bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like any bullet, some work better on long range, penetration, expansion, etc.. Muzzleloader shooters need to be very selective because their rifles can be more finicky then most rifles.

It depends on what game you're hunting and what you want the bullet to do.

It dependes on what type of lead bullet you are talking about .
Big lead CONICALS or PR DEAD CENTERS or TC CHEEP SHOT

Big lead CONICALS are cheaper than Jacketed bullets or PR Dead centers
Easyer to load - Just as Accur. as jacketed bullets IF you get the right bullet fit - carry more down range ENERGY - Can shoot them with less powder .

I just bought a Knight KRB7 to make into a Conical shooter and let me say I am very happy. With Dans Custom Conicals from BULL SHOP BULLETS the NEX 460gr And the UC Shorts 443gr in a .504 over 80 and 85gr of loose 2fg 777 I am shooting anywere from .75 to 1.5" shot groups at 100yds. CONSISTANTLY , These shoot so good that I am going to try
them in my Knight Disc Extreme and if they do as well as they do in the KRB I will be shooting no more sabot loads. AS MY HUNTING SHOTS ARE of 125yds and less most of the Deer I have taken are under 65yds and a animal shot with a 443gr or 460gr hunck of lead at these distances well THEY JUST DON'T GO FAR at all I think the farthest one has ever gone was maybe 35yds and that was my biggest buck and he dreesed out at 215lbs but he had no chance and I shot him with a 370gr TC maxi ball at about 95yds.

Conicals are great bullets at 125yds and closer BUT if you hunt were your shots are over 125yds to 200yds I would prefer a saboted bullet of lead like the Dead center or a jacketed bullet because the trajectery is better but let me add that even with a saboted bullet that I like the heavyer 250gr - 275gr or my favoret 290gr barns TMZ or 300gr Speer Gold Dot for more down range Energy.

RON G.

I have always been a fan of the TC Cheapshots. They have shot well in my .50 cal guns and I have had excellent results on game. I bought these for $1.88 per 20 on sale, so that helped too. I just got some of the PR Knight lead PT's for my .45 cal (240 gr). I can't wait to try these and see what I can get. At the muzzleloader velocities (I usually shoot 80-100 gr of Pyro) I get, lead always seem to expand and work very well for me.

va-

With the Cheapshots, what ranges have you used them out to?

I agree they are a great bullet for the price, very accurate out of my Kodiak, but I haven't had a chance to try one on deer yet. Have read many good reports on game though.

I have used them on game out to about 80 yards. All have been complete passthroughs with 85 gr of pyro p in a 50 cal NEF Sidekick. On paper I shot them out to 130 yards with 3 shot groups going about 2-2.5" CTC. When shot into damp loose earth backstops, they expanded very well, I could just see a small portion of the original bullet diameter in the back and the front was beautifully mushroomed to about .9". I would not hesitate to use these on game at reasonable powder charges of 80-110 gr. If you push them to fast they might expand quicker than I would like.

Latest posts

Back