Cutting Edge Bullet - 150 grain/.400 Raptor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
This afternoon was cloudy, mid- 40's with a steady 10-15 m.p.h. wind.  
fwgBfCn.jpg

By the way...this is my new shooting club and only ten minutes from my house.)   :)
EgZUjGv.jpg

VhEVlMu.jpg

A 3 shot group follows the clean barrel shot.
JfThCF7.jpg

jKJtJtI.jpg

All Copper construction

For this range outing I finally settled on this particular combo for my CVA Apex, and will remain the load this deer season for this smoke gun.  Still more testing to come on this bullet with other smokers, but it generally seems to prefer a hotter load and tight sabots.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Field Test:   https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t10515-success-on-my-day-2

Excellent shooting Marty! I think you'll like those copper bullets. I wonder what kind of velocity you are getting?

Yep...I was very happy :D  guys with that 3 group and called-it-a-day.  I intentionally picked a day with moderate wind to see how this very light bullet would perform.  After 22 rounds I decided to cut-to-the-chases and slice-through the wind with 120 grains.  Apparently wind was no longer a problem then.  BTW...out of my heavy Apex recoil was surprisingly pleasant even with 120 grains of BH209.  I felt like a .30-.30 center-fire.

:scratch: ...I don't have a chrono, but somewhere around 2,300 would be my guess. :Questuon:

Sweet looking set up and a really nice Range. You did some great shooting with that set up.

Dave

Very nice combo & report Marty. I'll have to look into that bullet. I hadn't seen that one. I did see a 165 grain that I am interested in.

Greg

I have to agree with you Marty.  These lighter bullets are very susceptible to wind drift but with a stout powder charge in a regular muzzleloader these bullet should easily kill out 200 yards. I'm going to order some this morning to try and my 45 caliber Knight  mostly because I love to play :shooter:

Greg

On occasion I'll get an inquiry regarding some of my older posts and missing pictures.   Fortunately I have all the pics and can easily re-post them in a forum post or thread upon request (there's just too many to do at once).  Just send me a PM.  This goes for any other pictures I may have included in any Reply of mine in any of the Forums.  

----------------------------------------------------
p.s  Don, I don't have any Range Report on the 165's, but here ya go on the 150's. :)

Sparkitoff said:
Looking good.  Any idea of FPS?
I don't have a chrono :( (need to think again about getting one).   All I know is they fly out of that like a bat in hell to my delight :lol:

Latest posts

Back