SST "practice bullet" test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
After getting a bit of fouling in the bore and getting a 475/50 load i liked, i tried out my "SST practice bullets" at 100 yards.

These are early tests with a 200gr .429 instead of a 250gr .451 but it is showing some promise and with a hot 110gr BH209 charge. I removed all lube from these so they dont match the bullet pic.

Hardcast429SpirePoint.jpg

Looks like im getting a blank mold and going ahead with the project in .451 and roughly 240gr since they wont be pure lead.

I used the Harvester Crushribs but i think i will try the MMP next. Im betting i can tighten this group and the sabots did load pretty easy.

These are extremely hard at about 23 BH and have a shoulder that cuts sweet holes. Plus recoil is VERY mild.

Bullseye shot was from a squeaky clean barrel and it seems this 475/50 sabot is very sensitive to fouling. It likes a spotless dry barrel. Ive had the same results before but today i found out why.

You should have seen the dirt fly when these .475 325gr XTPs impacted the hill behind the target.

Strange looking bullet, and a high BHN but it is hard to argue with groups like that... Nice shooting.

cayuga said:
Strange looking bullet, and a high BHN but it is hard to argue with groups like that... Nice shooting.

You think that looks strange, you should see them with no lube. :lol:

429206.jpg

Once i get a blank mold im taking it and a 250gr SST into a machinist. They will look just like a all Linotype SST.

You have to cast them this hard or take great care in seating the bullet. Its easy to just cast them hard since its for punching paper.

These have been tested in a 44mag at over 1500fps, penetration is unreal.

That's a strange one all right. Looks like it would be just the thing for shooting coyotes if you want to keep the hide undamaged. They might run a ways though.

I have never had much luck shooting cast bullets with grease grooves in sabots.

Are you saying that you plan to have a smooth sided SST-like cast bullet mold made? That is very interesting and I would be interested in that.

Good luck and good shooting.

paia said:
I have never had much luck shooting cast bullets with grease grooves in sabots.

Are you saying that you plan to have a smooth sided SST-like cast bullet mold made? That is very interesting and I would be interested in that.

Good luck and good shooting.

Yes but getting the weight exact will be hard unless i make it longer or nearly pure lead. Im guessing a SST 250gr clone in 23BHN hardcast will be about 240-245gr.

choc-dog said:
Are you casting these bullets or buying them?

Chocdog

The current ones i get from Dukes Custom bullet Works in STL. Since he is not a sponsor i will give you his info by pm only unless the mods approve it to be posted in the public forum.

This mold is discontinued and another .451 200gr+ is coming but its basically a custom too made for 45 colt. The lube grooves will be much finer and shallower than the .429 in the pic.

The final version will be a complete custom in .451-.452 made from a mold blank. Im hoping for 240gr+ and 23BHN to help prevent damage while seating on the ML only version.

The great thing about the current one is they cut great holes because of the slight shoulder. My final ML only version and the .451 200gr will not have this shoulder.

PM me for pricing on the current bullet and quantity/hardness desired. At least 50 is required for a run and over 200 will take a little time to make. Quantity and hardness will determine cost, so it might take me a little bit to get the final cost calculated.

Most of what he makes is by order and Duke is very good at casting.

I do have a few samples i can send but not many. Maybe 30 total and they are lubed with Red Angel. I recommend removing the lube and its a minor PITA. Just wiping them off with mineral spirits gets off enough for testing.

Latest posts

Back