Who uses their smokepole during the modern firearm season?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
I like my Triumph so well Im going to use it all season during the modern rifle season instead of my .30-06. My friends think Im crazy but my TC shoots as well as my Remington. So far Ive killed one deer. It went straight down.

Last season I carried one of my smokepoles about half the time during the regular gun season. So far this season it's been smokepoles only, but I'm sure I'll carry the 25-06 or 45-70 (both Browning single shots) for some hunts.

Here in Southern Michigan we're limited to shotguns and muzzleloaders during the regular firearms season.
Even though my 12 ga USH is very accurate as far as a slug gun goes, it can't match my muzzleloader.

Left the slug gun in the case this year and went afield with the muzzleloader!

I do! Same thing as above, no center fire rifles allowed.

Now if I could only see a deer.

I prefer the muzzy over the shotgun. Less recoil, handles better and longer range, better accuracy.

I even use it squirrel hunting.

So far this year, i have hunted an early doe rifle season in South Dakota, the rifle season in Montana, and now the rifle season in South Dakota. The rifle i carried, and now carry is my Accura. I enjoy using my muzzle loader during rifle season, because only during the rifle season can i use a scope. During the muzzle loader season here, we can only use iron sights on our rifles, and this forces me to squint real tight to be able to focus on the front sight. Using a peep sight makes it possible, but it still irritates me, that i struggle to see the front sight.

I use my ML exclusively, haven't used a shotgun in quite a few years (can't use centerfires in IL).

I've got two centerfire rifles, neither of which has even been out of the rack for so long I can't remember (except for the occasional light cleaning).

Shotguns or muzzys where I am so the muzzy is what I have been using since the early 1980's Back and forth between that and the shotgun for a few years but when I got the MK 85 it ended the shotgun for deer seasons.

DC

derfhunter said:
Shotgun only here also. Been using the 50 cal for the last 5-6 years.

same here... using smoke pole at least 10 yrs

i carried my 270 once.
Other than that time I have carried a Muzzleloader.

carry

If i do get to hunt, I will leave my CF rifles in the safe. I am having too much fun w/ the Pro Hunter and Wolf and flinty . And I can get shots to 350 yards in the field I watch. I have made them w/ my 7mm. Muzzle loading has changed the way I hunt. I have slowed down my style. It has made me a better hunter overall!

The last year I carried a centerfire was 2002. I only use smokepoles now-even for small game.

My shooty does an impressive job in the accuracy dept. but for stand hunting, I may switch to the muzzy this year. I had thoughts of using it this year but im still not sure what sight im going to put on it, if any.

One side of me says to use a Millet DMS and another side says to use a regular reddot.

Both have advantages and most of my hunting is in thicker woods where 4x would be plenty. I do occasionaly watch over some clearcuts but im not convinced that the DMS will handle the recoil of a muzzy.

Here in Pa. where centerfire is allowed I carry my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag pistol. Otherwise its my T/C .50 cal Pro hunter.

I definitely use mine. The only time I pull out the Rem 700 is if I'm hunting somewhere that I might have to take a shot beyond my comfort level with the ML.

I did this past 2nd rifle season in CO. Didn't get to shoot at anything.

Latest posts

Back