Well Crap!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
I just brought home a brand new 2009 Savage 116 Weather Warrior 30-06. I also bought the Warne Maxima rings and bases to use with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-10x40,,, but the base slots are too far apart (5") to work with my scope :cry: What would you guys do? What the easiest fix... Leupold rings and bases?

I ordered some Talley extended rings so we'll see if that works... by the way, if you ever get or have a Savage that has the accu-stock taking the stock off is easy but the going back on is tricky to say the least!

I think the rifle is going to be a good shooter... the new stock floats the barrel.

Flinthead,

The savage long action is troublesome for proper eye relief with the available bases. Savage should market their own bases to cure this issue with scope magnification above 9X.

I just mounted Leopold QR (quick release) bases on a Savage action reversing the front base for a Leopold 4X-12X VX-II scope. For me the eye relief is fine.

I use the Leopold QR bases for future barrel swaps, its just easier to push the scope ring studs into the mount and lock the base tab.

I have another Savage action where I had to mount a 1 piece "picitenny" (sp.)rail in order to space the quick release rings properly...its ugley but it works.

Chocdog

Thanks for the response Choc and UC... I turned the base slots so they were at their closes setting to no avail. The Talley will work with two extended bases, but they only give you one extended and one standard in the "extended" pack,,, I'm going to call them back today. I'm probably going to get one of the new Nikon Monarch scopes with the extended ring space... hopefully that will work with the Warne bases. I really hate to "rig" something... it upsets my delicate sensibilities... :)

Flinthead,

Does your new 2009 116 have the new "Accu-stock"??

chocdog

It does... I think it's going to be a real tack driver with that stock. The only big deal like I said above is putting the new stock back on after you take it off. It comes with a small piece that acts as a wedge against the recoil lug of the barrel and screws into the stock... The problem is you can't just screw this little piece into the stock and then put the barrel in place, it won't fit! You must first barely thread the screw into the wedge through the stock so that the wedge has a good deal of play in it,,, then turn the stock upside down so the wedge will move in that direction as far as it can,,, now you can put the barrel/recoil lug in the stock, flip the stock over and tighten every thing down. Clear as mud? If you look on Savage's web sight it shows some detail pictures and gives an explanation of how it works.

By the way, I ordered a Nikon Monarch with the extended ring spacing... I hope that will work with the Warne set up. If not, I know for a fact that the Talley double extended will work on just about any scope. They are the aluminum integrated base/ring deal though,,, I'm sure they are plenty tough and I may still have to use them, but I want to try the Warne first.

Being a "Lefty" I had Savage build me a stainless 25-06 with a 26 inch sporter barrel set in a 114 classic stock. It is a pretty rifle even for a Savage.

It shot sub MOA right from the box. My 25-06 belongs in South Carolina more so as a bean field rifle than in my gun rack.

Greg

Whatever ya do,,,don't upset yer delicate sensibilities....... :lol: :lol:

Seen many a feller curl up in da fetal position an' call it quits. 8)

Latest posts

Back