CROSS STICKS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kicked Back

Reaction score
CROSS STICKS

out of touch for a long while and wonder who uses cross sticks and if anyone has examples. I just made a single style and if anyone can expand on them I would like it.

Re: CROSS STICKS

Where you rest the rifle in the sticks will create different barrel harmonics and can open up your groups. 

1. Are the sticks padded? They need a strip of heavy leather between the wood and the rifle.

2. Where are you resting - wood of the forearm in the sticks? The group I shoot with rest the barrel itself in a precise location along the length (usually close to the muzzle) found  through trial and error for the 'sweet spot" - not disrupting the harmonic vibrations to a degree that reduces accuracy. 

3. Position - sitting or prone? Prone has a more solid base and more contact points. Sitting I can hold and shoot better.

You need to find your guns "sweet spot" and practice. Sticks aren't a shooting bench it requires a different technique with your hold.

Re: CROSS STICKS

good evening Mr. Conner and hope your turkey day was great. I will be sitting and that is not easy for me to do "anymore" but I won't quit. Of my 3 BP rifles only my Traditions Crocket 32 allows both wood and barrel contact. My CVA Kentucky is all wood as you know and it has a 25 1/4" barrel but my GRRW 50 poorboy is also wood, clear on down the road! Having done very little stick shooting I will be mindfull of the "sweet spot" you mention and hope that I can feel it. The poorboys set trigger is real nice and I think I'm quick enough to "touch" her off inbetween the shaking and swaying! :lol: I will be back in touch after I try it out and thank you for responding, it means a lot.

Latest posts

Back