Randy Wakeman

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
I just bought my first ML, a CVA Optima Elite 50 and a 270 CF.
I am trying to find as much info as i can on the gear i should use and shoot from my new hobby. I found Randys website and I am beginning to wonder if i bought the right ML. This guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about and he says that he hates CVAs and they are very dangerous and that they are junk. Yet i have also found many reviews on these guns and those who own them love them.
Whats a newbee to think?

thanks

try this website www.bellmtcs.com

you bought an excellent product! Randy Wakeman should stick to his magic shows. You should look his movies up on youtube.

Bergara barrel is an EXCELLENT product.

will my optima elite 50cal handle triple 7 or triple 7 mag without blowing apart and taking my face off.

yeah. randy wakeman i believe failed to mention that those cases were the 1995-1996 inlines only (cva still has a recall on those inline years on their website*. The barrels didnt explode, the breech plugs blew out.

Bergara barrels are one of the best , high quality barrels you can buy today. You should email Mike bellm and ask him how he feels about the bergara barrel.

Your muzzle loader barrel is made from the same steel that the .270's barrel is made out of. The steel is almost comparable to the steel that thompson center uses of their muzzleloaders/rifles.

You are safe as safe can get.

thanks. i had been doing some more reading and am finding that this guy is a BSer. Seems that cva is doing something right with choosing bergara as TC is using them as well.

how about some input on the other thread i started.
thanks

Read the Manuel and load as it and the barrel says and you will have no problem. Same as with any other new weapon.

Enjoy

Dave

I had a cva they are good guns and safe, i gave one ot my brother so he could get into muzzle loading, i wouldnt have gave him junk i would have just thrown it away if i thought they were not safe hope this helps a bit

What he writes is just one mans opinion and he is very opinionated. Enjoy your gun and don't listen to everything you read. Follow the instructions that came with your rifle and you will be fine. Enjoy!

Like you I had my concerns, but Wakeman lost all credibility with me when I went to his personal website, and saw that he is all but "Mr Savage Arms." I got a clue when I read his Kiss ___ letter to the chief of Savage Arms, but his website shows that he stands to personally gain financially from less competition. Oh, thats real objective reporting!

That said, I purchased a CVA Accura anyway... and I love it. I wish you the very best with yours!

Waht Pappy sed +1, just read & follow your manual /Instructions. And also follow the threads in this website!!!! :wink: I shoot a CVA Kodiak Magnum and are very happy with it.

Art Sehnke

if I read randy wakemans site when I first started, I would have quite right there.

he is full of it. follow the book, and have fun.

I have a slightly different take on Randy Wakeman. I first found out about him when I first started doing research on the Savage 10ML-II about 4 years ago. This was about a year after the Toby Bridges "incident" and I was very leary about buying a Savage. Reading Wakemans articles on muzzleloading and the Savage in particular helped put my mind to ease. He used to be a frequent poster on this very forum a few years ago and provided alot of valuable information. Sure he is opinionated and has a way about him that can rub some folks the wrong way. I happen to enjoy reading his articles and get a chuckle out of them while sorting through the BS. Whether you like him or not you can't deny that he has done alot to promote the sport of muzzleloading.

Back