Crock-Pot Venison Stew

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
MWdAQ2q.jpg

Sheltering indoors from COVID19 and to keep myself busy, I broke-out the ol’ cookbook again for some game stew. Here’s a great, basic recipe for venison stew. I’ve used this recipe successfully in two ways. You can follow the recipe as stated for a quicker cooking time, or cook it more slowly in the following manner as I did for tonight’s dinner. Instead of FIRST cooking the venison in a skillet as directed… cube-up the venison, flour it and add the spices. Now throw the cubes and all the prepared ingredients into the crock pot and cook for 4 to 6 hours until the potato and carrots are done. A stir every-now-and-then is all that is needed. Slow cooking it this way will create a thicker stew-broth, while allowing all the ingredients to merge into a flavorful composite. I also split the potato ingredient portion to include Idaho and sweet potatoes. Mmmmmm:)
EfmJB5R.jpg

cLwleVS.jpg

Sounds delicious, I’m still eating tag soup leftovers. I hope to change all that once turkey season opens up.

Sounds delicious, I’m still eating tag soup leftovers. I hope to change all that once turkey season opens up.
Yep...turkey season's approaching. I bought 2 boxes of 3 inch shells in 4 shot last week.
Good luck and hunt SAFELY!

Looks good fellas. I’ve been doing my stews in the Instant Pot, breaks down the toughest cuts lol. Some shoulder (moose) cuts I’ve had to slow cook all night where it breaks down beautifully.
I tried sweet potato before in stew. Wasnt a fan.How’s too soft.
I took a vac sealed bag of leftover turkey and my Awesome wife made turkey stew and dumplings 😋 921D94FC-C695-4267-86AA-6BACF207B9F5.jpeg
thanks for sharing

My Awesome Wife does an awesome whatever she does when it comes to cooking and baking.
thank god we have a treadmill an elliptical machine to burn it all off lol. Stay Healthy everyone.

I have learned from the old timers here in my part of VA, one way to help a piece of meat out, is to go and buy you a bottle of the cheapest coke cola and soak the meat in it over night, then drop it in a crock pot, of course in my AO we hunt with buckshot and dogs, so we tend to not let hang

Yes Siree, that works pretty well, and is something from the old days that we used with gamey-tasting meat (mutton, some venison, etc.)

I have learned from the old timers here in my part of VA, one way to help a piece of meat out, is to go and buy you a bottle of the cheapest coke cola and soak the meat in it over night, then drop it in a crock pot, of course in my AO we hunt with buckshot and dogs, so we tend to not let hang

Back