HAAALP!!! MK-85 question:

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Monkey

Reaction score
I recently bought a MK-85 in .54 caliber. I have another in .50 caliber. My 50 is set for regular #11 percussion caps, but this new rifle has been set up for 209 primers. My question is this:

The gun was sent with the percussion style breech plug tool, which will not work on this plug. I figure no problem and find a 7/16 deep socket and ratchet extension. However the breech plug itself hangs up on the trigger extension that protrudes upward above the trigger. No matter how I try...I can't get the breech plug out!!! Do I have to buy the separate tool to be flush with the breech plug to depress the durned trigger extension? Anyone here have one or two they might be willing to sell? Any ideas where to pick one up? I see that Knight sells them as part of a kit, but haven't contacted them yet to see if they're for sale individually.

Second question. I know MK-85 triggers are adjustable, but does anyone have instructions or a link to show how to adjust them? I'd rather be certain before tinkering.

Gun looks like new, anxious to give a 54 a try. Thanks in advance to all responses.

Karl

Take off the trigger safety and pull the trigger or you can take the trigger off. If you go to Knight's sight and look at one of the older manuals it will tell you how to adjust the trigger.
Good Luck, Art

I've got a spare tool you can have. PM me your address.

PM sent, and thanks...I knew members here would help me out!!!

I don't recall ever being able to get the plug out without removing the trigger entirely on mine - safety on or safety off.

I can remove the plug on my 50, but one has to have the tool flush with the plug, and pushed out from the muzzle end. I don't use a ramrod, but rather just use a small allen wrench and push on the bottom of the breech plug. Then both plug and tool are pushed out...no messing with the trigger at all.

Hoping I can do the same with this rifle.

C-Monkey said:
I can remove the plug on my 50, but one has to have the tool flush with the plug, and pushed out from the muzzle end. I don't use a ramrod, but rather just use a small allen wrench and push on the bottom of the breech plug. Then both plug and tool are pushed out...no messing with the trigger at all.

Hoping I can do the same with this rifle.

Same here but sometimes I have to pull the trigger to get it out.

Due to the kindness shown by fellow members, I now have the trigger adjusted perfectly, and have the correct tool for the breech plug.

I did find that I can remove/install the breech plug with the trigger group intact, although it is a bit more difficult than with my 50 caliber. The correct tool made all the difference in the world.

Again, much obliged to helpful fellow members.

Latest posts

Back