Questions On Specs-Trying To Find The Right Projectile

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50_Scout

Reaction score
Still Shooting the T/C Scout. Patched balls wouldn't even hit the cardboard at 50 yards with 70-75 grains of RS. The same load under a Hornady 350 grain FPB would group 6"-8". Did some research and the T/C website showed a 1:38 twist in all calibers and barrel lengths on the rifles. Has anyone measured anything different? I can't get my ramrod to twist freely like you could if you had a free wheeling handle to verify mine. Also, when I measured the length of the barrel I get 20.5" from the end of the barrel to the bottom of the bore. Would that be considered a 21" barrel? I know I will have to find what my rifle likes, but I need those specs to read the pressure charts that I have.

Also, if anyone has had good results with a particular load/projectile combination in a 50 caliber Scout let me know. I don't get to shoot very often, so I am trying to book research as much as I can to find a possible match for my rifle so I can save some time at the range and some money on projectiles that wouldn't be optimum.

IMO 1:38 is very fast for round ball. Ideally RB twist in a fifty should be 1:66. I have a 1:28 RMC flinter that will shoot bugholes using a .490 ball and .015 patch with 40 grains of Swiss FFFg, but 60 grains spray all over. My 1:48 TC rifles will do well using RB with 70 grains of Swiss, but accuracy drops off quickly if I try and increase the load. The Tc will shoot the 370 maxiball with 90 grains of powder with a felt wad under the bullet. Sucker kills on one end and wounds on the other. I suggest that you try some TC "cheap shots" with 70-80 grains of powder or a conical with a wad under the bullet. I had a short barreled Knight Mk-85 that shot really well with T7 FFFg and 250 gr. Barnes expanders-not sure if these will fit that tight bore.

I shoot several rifles with a 1-38 twist the only one I have tried PRB in is my TC System One I use a .490 Ball and a 20 thousands ticking patch with bore butter lube and 90 gr of P, it does not compete with a good sabot gun at 100 yds for accuracy getting 2 and a half inch groups.
Mine shoot sabots quite well using 100gr of RS and the 200,230 and 240 gr bullets they do not shoot well with the longer bullet but the 230 gr HP has work well on deer for me. Lee

I'd try a 240gr/250gr XTP/PTX and 80-90gr of powder. A short/stubby sabot should do the trick with that twist rate.

Latest posts

Back