Stock Drop of T/C New Englander & Penna. Hunter v. Hawke

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwbrasky

Reaction score
I used to own a T/C Hawken and Cherokee, but found that I had to crane my neck too much to fire them offhand. They were fine from the bench, but when I shouldered them, I found myself looking maybe 4" - 6" over the front sight, hence the neck craning. Do the New Englanders and Penna. Hunters use the same stock design, i.e., drop, as the Hawken, Cherokee, and I presume, Renegade?

The New Englander has almost the same drop at the top of the butt plate as the Renegade, BUT there are significant differences in the contour of the stock. The wrist of the New Englander is a little more than an inch longer than the Renegade, so the comb starts farther back from the breech. ALSO, the comb is not as high. It has a more gentle curved configuration and allows you to MUCH more easily get down to the line of the sights.

I'm not sure what kind of neck craning you are experiencing. For me, I have to drop my cheek to the comb - about an inch, maybe two inches - to align the sights, which involves bending my neck. The higher I mount the butt on my shoulder the less I have to bend my neck.

All of them are pretty close in stock design. I own them all. I never have to crank my neck too hard, so I am lucky. The most comfortable to shoot is the Penn Hunter.

By way of contrast, my Lyman Great Plains, Mowrey and Dixie Tenn. Mtn. rifles fit me perfectly: Don't have to crane my neck at all for offhand shooting. Thanks for the information re the T/C's!

Back