Magnum No.11 caps vs. standard No.11 caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkKnight

Reaction score
Is there that big of difference in magnum caps vs. standard caps? I need to buy some caps and I'm not sure what caps to buy.

I'll be shooting T7 2f powder if that matters?

Thanks,
Dave

Get the CCI Magnum #11, Remington (40% hotter) #11, Dynamite Noble also called RWS 1075. These three are good caps. I would not purchase CCI standard caps. When you shoot the caps you want as hot as you can get.

I've shot both with no problems. I prefer 11 mag with black powder just to make sure it fires!! :wink:

All I will say is...

Many years ago, Remington caps used to be my nemesis. They hated me. They would not fire, or they would not fire off the charge. So I swore off them. Fast forward a couple years... I ran out of caps. All I could get were the Remington 40% hotter. I almost did not buy them, that was how much trouble I had with them. But I wanted to shoot. I bought the new Remington and never had a single problem with them. I would buy them again tomorrow if I needed caps.

The CCI standard caps... I ordered CCI Magnum and the store sent me standard. When I complained it did no good. They told me I ordered the standard even though my receipt showed I ordered the Magnum. Well I was stuck with them. All I had was problems with them setting off my inline rifles with loose powder. I had such problems that even though I had 10 tins of them I bought ten tins of the RWS 1075 caps. The standard caps were for clearing the nipple and for my friend that showed up and had no caps. I finally dumped all of that junk.

RWS 1075 caps... just great caps. They can be a little card to seat on some nipples because I believe they are just a little smaller in diameter then the #11 caps. But if they are on the rifle, the rifle is going off.

CCI Magnum #11 caps... great caps. Never had a problem with them on any of my rifles. They fit all of my rifles. And they 99% of the time will set the rifle off. These are the caps I normally purchase because they work, and because they are easy to get. Although they have doubled in price at my local store this last year, so I will buy a brick of them next time I need some.

I ended up buying Remington 40% hotter caps. They also had some winchester magnum caps that the gunsmith said were new this year and they were the hottest yet. Since I had never heard of them I figured I'd try what was suggested first.

Hoping to go out this weekend and shoot for the first time. I will post back the results.

wichester #11 caps are good i use them in my remington 700 ml . i use 7772f powder no problem yet , nos miss fire

note ; i havint tried any other primer yet

I use standard CCI #11. But I use Pyrodex Select and Goex Black powder. I have never had a problem with them. I assume you will be using loose T7?

onthefarm said:
I use standard CCI #11. But I use Pyrodex Select and Goex Black powder. I have never had a problem with them. I assume you will be using loose T7?

I will be using 2F T7. Maybe some day if the rain ever stops here in Iowa I can get out and shoot and report back. :(

Latest posts

Back