What scope to buy for a 220F savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backstraps

Reaction score
Iam buying a new savage 220F slug gun and am having a hard time deciding on a scope. I was thinking of either the nikon slug hunter 3x9 or leupold 2x7 ultimateslam. I appreciate/encourage your opinions and suggestions. I prefer the recticle of the slam but ive heard reviews the leupold dont gather light well but ive never owned one to know for sure.

I have a 3x9 Ultimate Slam on a ML and like it very much. I have an older Leupold Shotgun/Muzzle Loader scope on another ML, and a Leupold VariXII 1-4X on a slug gun. They are all great scopes and gather plenty of light for any shooting I've encountered. All my rifles have Leupolds too--buy an American made Leupold.

In my opinion the 3-9 is too much for a slug gun. I kinda like the Bushnell Elite 3200 in 1.5-4.5x32 or 2-7x32. You can get one of either for around $200. Excellent quality.

I have the Savage 220f and you need to be a little cautious on your selection.The 220 being a long action,you sometimes can't mount a "shorter" scope.The scopes with a "longer" tube is what I would look for.I don't know what bases you are using,but I would also suggest the Burris XTB Tactical bases.The XTB's have 3 slots in both the front and rear base for a bit more mounting flexibility.My 220 has a Zeiss 3-9 with the Burris XTB bases and med Warne Rings.I personally don't think a 3-9 is too much on this gun.I am using the Remington 3" Accutips and I have shot a 3" 200 yard group and consistent 1" 100 yard groups.Whatever you decide on,I think you will absolutely love this gun.Good luck ~~~ Rich

DSCN0543.jpg

DSCN0544.jpg

Thanks.....yea ive heard alot of good reviews about the gun. I was planning on using the EGW2120 base since its the most recommended base other tend to cause ejection problems

Latest posts

Back