Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Dad has an older Lyman Great Plains Rifle. He has been toying around with loose Triple Seven powder. I beleive that he has gotten upto 120 grains and it seams to blowing his hammer back to full cock. I forgot to mention that it is a .54 cal. and I beleive that it has a 1:48 twist. He shoots 400 grain conicals. Is this a sign of an over charge or just a weak hammer spring?

My Dad has an older Lyman Great Plains Rifle. He has been toying around with loose Triple Seven powder. I beleive that he has gotten upto 120 grains and it seams to blowing his hammer back to full cock. I forgot to mention that it is a .54 cal. and I beleive that it has a 1:48 twist. He shoots 400 grain conicals. Is this a sign of an over charge or just a weak hammer spring?

The Great Plains Rifles had a 1-66 twist and then later went to a 1-60 twist. The Lyman Trade Rifle has the 1-48 twist. The Great Plains HUNTER had has a 1-32 twist for shooting conical. I suspect your father has a Great Plains Hunter if the rifle was meant to shoot conical bullets.

120 grains of Triple Seven and a great plains conical is too much powder and bullet for that rifle. He's lucky he did not crack the stock. Also the recoil must have been brutal. I am not surprised it cocked itself.

If the barrel is a GPR, tell him to try a roundball. In the Great Plains Hunter, a conical and up to 100 grains of powder would be a max load.

He purchased this rifle back in the 80's i want to say after I was born so it would have been around 84. He is on his second barrel and that is why I say it's 1:48. It came from Italy thats all I know. He is crazy I have seen him shoot 200 grains of pyrodex with a 425 grain conical and that half cocks his hammer. It shoots the conicals great my concern was the charge and pressure saftey.

Cayuga: 120 grains of Triple Seven and a great plains conical is too much powder and bullet for that rifle.

Dang right it's too much. That's pushing the limits of safety and is probably a waste of powder anyway. What are his typical shot distances in a hunting situation?

200 grains of Pyrodex? Is he a glutton for punishment? I shoot 110g 2F real Black in my 54 and most traditional shooters say that is overkill.
Lyman lists 120g 2F under a round ball and 110 gr 2F under a 450g conical as max loads.

Yeah he's crazy like that. I want to say tht his normal load was 110 grains but then he switched to triple seven and stepped it up a bit. I'll let him know today that 120 is way too much. I know that most loads for a .54 are down around 90 grains and he does too. Just trying to gooutside the relm of normal.

Back