Where do you aim on a deer with inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
Do you get good results from shoulder shooting deer with inline or tuck it behing that front leg an put it through the boiler room. I ask this because I have been ask to shoot five does off a farm and do not want to track a lot of deer that night...it is loaded and all I have to do is shoot and reload...I may not kill 5 but hope to shoot 2-3...I will start with momma and let the little ones come back :wink:

My usual is just at the back edge of the leg, 1/3 up from the bottom, angling fwd would be nice. Just give em about 10 min after the shot & go field dress. Of course one may have to adjust for the shot offered.

You have to take into consideration what bullet you are using.
For instance with a 250 Gold Dot at 2000 FPS [which will open very fast I shoot behind the shoulder but with a Barnes or hard cast bullet I would shoot the center of the shoulder with a regular Shock Wave behind the shoulder with the new FTX which has harder lead in it right on the shoulder bone. There is no one answer as both the velocity and bullet construction make a difference. Lee

i shoot at the the center of the shoulder if i can.

thank sam

If your main concern is not tracking, I would go for a high shoulder shot. This breaks them down and they usually will drop right away or only go a short distance. But you need to use a bullet that is tough enough and won't blow up on this type of shot. What bullet/load are you using? Most of the bullets out there should do the job, but I would be careful about trying this shot with a soft lead bullet or powerbelt at high velocities.

turkey

Some one posted this - I stole a copy of it..

DeerSkele.jpg

Which is all well and good provided you can get a broadside shot like this but more often you will probably have a quartering shot or even a frontal shot...

santoslhalper said:
If your main concern is not tracking, I would go for a high shoulder shot. This breaks them down and they usually will drop right away or only go a short distance. But you need to use a bullet that is tough enough and won't blow up on this type of shot. What bullet/load are you using? Most of the bullets out there should do the job, but I would be careful about trying this shot with a soft lead bullet or powerbelt at high velocities.

X2 I like the high shoulder shot with the .496 grain conicals and Rem.30-06 drops them on the spot, no blood trail. 8) If you hit it right the only meat loss is hamburger meat. You want to put the bullet just below the spine to miss the backstraps also.

Depends on the angle of the animal, the high shoulder is a bang-flop waiting to happen. The double lung/vitals is a great high percentage shot if available.

My plan is to enter one side and exit the other. If l take out one front shoulder in the process, great... two front shoulders even better. Would rather trim a little meat than worry about tracking anything farther than line of sight. Just my opinion.

Depending on how accurate the load/gun is, and how steady you are, I'd go for the head (between the ear and eye or just below the ear for broadside shots... between the eyes for head on shots). No damaged meat and no tracking.

Best thing you can do is know where the vitals are inside the deer and aim at those regardless of the angle. You risk missing the vitals if you always aim for a spot on the outside.
I'll shoot a deer at any angle except for facing/extreme quartering away. Head on shots through the chest into the vitals almost always drop the animal on the spot.
This is why I like a bullet that penetrates. I can't always wait for the animal to turn and want to know the bullet will get through to what it needs to hit. Give me an exit wound and I can track. I like those odds better than losing one because he didn't drop on the spot and I don't have an exit wound to give me a decent blood trail...or the bullet didn't get into the vitals far enough.

A very good question. Where I hunt, it's important to avoid having the deer run off because of what it 99% of the time runs into. So I break them down, if the deer had any size to it. I do a high shoulder shot, break them down and plant them where they stand. The smaller ones, I will sneak in behind the shoulder as those don't seem to run too far and are light enough to pick up and carry out of the thickets I hunt.

When I was younger, I used to do head shots. I gave up on them. One year in fact a group of us decided to make only head shots on doe. We agreed to this because a person hunting with us, used to get sick when he saw head shot deer. Never seen so many bug eyed, split skull deer that year. Granted, a head shot will plant the deer but I have seen too many deer with missing jaws. People trying head shots and not hitting the center brain. That is why I only use they as a last resort. Spine shots, another good plant. But again, a smaller target then center mass.

If your confident in your shooting ability, and you have a good accurate load, there are lots of planting shots, but deer will fool you and move. So for the most part I go for the high percentage shoulder shots. On the quartering shots, again, behind the shoulder but coming out the off side shoulder.

OK guys, here is the scenario. Your in thick woods but have a clear view to the deer. He is well within your accurate shooting distance you have set for yourself. And your bullet is a real well made bullet, able to penetrate well and expand.

The deer is walking in, straight on to you. Its a real nice shooter buck. But he refuses to turn, and if he does, will probably disappear between trees. In fact, he's twitching his ears, throwing them forward at you, his tail is up and he's starting that foot stomp. You do have a clear view of his brisket/chest. What are you going to do?

Shoot him straight on! Maybe favor one side depending on the angle. Everytime I've tried this shot they've dropped on the spot...even with a bow (not that I'd try that particular one again).

cayuga said:
A very good question. Where I hunt, it's important to avoid having the deer run off because of what it 99% of the time runs into. So I break them down, if the deer had any size to it. I do a high shoulder shot, break them down and plant them where they stand. The smaller ones, I will sneak in behind the shoulder as those don't seem to run too far and are light enough to pick up and carry out of the thickets I hunt.

When I was younger, I used to do head shots. I gave up on them. One year in fact a group of us decided to make only head shots on doe. We agreed to this because a person hunting with us, used to get sick when he saw head shot deer. Never seen so many bug eyed, split skull deer that year. Granted, a head shot will plant the deer but I have seen too many deer with missing jaws. People trying head shots and not hitting the center brain. That is why I only use they as a last resort. Spine shots, another good plant. But again, a smaller target then center mass.

If your confident in your shooting ability, and you have a good accurate load, there are lots of planting shots, but deer will fool you and move. So for the most part I go for the high percentage shoulder shots. On the quartering shots, again, behind the shoulder but coming out the off side shoulder.

OK guys, here is the scenario. Your in thick woods but have a clear view to the deer. He is well within your accurate shooting distance you have set for yourself. And your bullet is a real well made bullet, able to penetrate well and expand.

The deer is walking in, straight on to you. Its a real nice shooter buck. But he refuses to turn, and if he does, will probably disappear between trees. In fact, he's twitching his ears, throwing them forward at you, his tail is up and he's starting that foot stomp. You do have a clear view of his brisket/chest. What are you going to do?
cock,pull trigger,cuss because i forgot to put in primer.not that it ever happened to me :oops: ....karl

If you do not want to track 'em, shoot them in the head. Note: this requires very good shot placement and a steady rest. Not to be attempted my anyone who can not place the bullet spot on. Advantage: no tracking required and no meat loss.

Back