Colorado bobcat trapping in jeopardy!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
50237769_2251242378271449_4642610246815055872_n.jpg

Please see the "what you can do" section and consider making your voice be heard.  Thanks...

my son went out into the yard the other night when he was home from college, was going to shoot a cottontail rabbit. something growled at him with a deep snort and growl. most likely a bob cat. came back in the house and said im not going out their anymore tonight. scarred the crap out of him, dont blame him. could have been a mountain lion also.

CoHicntry, Hopefully ALL Hunters gets on the ball and follow through with the “What you can do” part!!!

I grew up in Wa State, Western side. Spent 38 Years there, i seen that place go down the tube BAD! 

This was a Big Bobcat i killed on the Wa Coast, 39 Pounds. Anything over 30 pounds was considered a DARN NICE Cat, 40 was a Number you just didn’t hear of, This Cat was right there

61ILYxkl.jpg

That is a huge kitty.

When we lived in WV a big bobcat came down the same gully every night to hunt rabbits on an grown up farm. i set a spring pole snare and baited it with chicken parts. Caught the cat: He weighed 42 pounds. The wife of a friend sometimes wears the fur.

The doe i killed late in deer rifle season had been attacked by a bobcat months before.

Idaholewis... wow that's really nice one!  Falcon, that sounds like a nice one you caught too!

I sure hope this petition doesn't go anywhere.  Unfortunately most of the public hear something like this proposed and jump right on board with it!  Colorado trappers already have to lug cage traps all over the place if they want to trap in Colorado due to our trapping laws.  This would just be another blow to the never ending erosion to hunting and trapping.

One of the main reasons supposedly for this petition is due to the accidental trapping and killing of Lynx. The funny thing is trappers know how to identify a Lynx from a Bobcat and being that they are in a live trap unharmed they can be easily released.  I would say hunting for bobcats would produce more accidental killing of Lynx... surprised they aren't trying to ban that instead?  I'm sure that will be next!

CoHiCntry said:
Idaholewis... wow that's really nice one!  Falcon, that sounds like a nice one you caught too!

I sure hope this petition doesn't go anywhere.  Unfortunately most of the public hear something like this proposed and jump right on board with it!  Colorado trappers already have to lug cage traps all over the place if they want to trap in Colorado due to our trapping laws.  This would just be another blow to the never ending erosion to hunting and trapping.

One of the main reasons supposedly for this petition is due to the accidental trapping and killing of Lynx. The funny thing is trappers know how to identify a Lynx from a Bobcat and being that they are in a live trap unharmed they can be easily released.  I would say hunting for bobcats would produce more accidental killing of Lynx... surprised they aren't trying to ban that instead?  I'm sure that will be next!
CoHiCntry, I sure hope for the Best Outcome in this!! It is a SCARY World we live in this Day and Age, There are more uneducated than Educated, The uneducated are willing to take their money to their fight. I seen Hound Hunting Completely taken away on the Wa Coast, Some of The Rivers i grew up on Steelhead, and Salmon Fishing were Closed, Not even Catch & Release. SAD deal! Again, You guys need to Ban together and Fight it TOOTH N NAIL

It's hard to change minds with the DOW. Those guys sit at their jobs and wouldn't bend at all. When we first started the Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association (no muzzle loading season was available), it was a continued battle to get a season at that time. Knowing the governor of the state helped us with his suggestions on lobbying. First few years were hard to get more permits, it felt like 6060 was our second home. Most don't realize in this state that anything muzzle-loading is not on the books (not a given season) your have to lobby every three years. 

Some of trappers didn't believe us when we told them they had better be on their toes or their rights will disappear like what has happen in resent years. Here's another season going bad.

Back