Sighting in the Traditions Pursuit.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckaroni

Reaction score
Ok, trying to sight in my cousin's Pursuit. Going pretty good so far, except for the pain in my shoulder.. :oops: We are losing time real fast before the opener, and he is very busy, with work, and he just bought his first house...Which he is gutting, so I said I would help him out. (I would rather help him with sighting in then actually do the gutting part..lol)

It was almost off the paper at 50 yards, but managed to get it somewhat closer..But man, what a difference in recoil between my Sidekick and the Pursuit. The Sidekick is heavy, and has a recoil pad that I guess works pretty good..But that Pursuit kicked my shoulder pretty good, and I do not consider myself recoil shy..(maybe I am though..)

I was trying to get him set up with the load I use, 80 grains of BH209, and an FPB. Well I got close, and we are going to go back to the range on Tuesday.

After shot # 4, I was dialing in the scope at very small increments. But for some reason, #6 was much lower...

So...Does this load look like it has promise? Not that I have much of a choice at this point, as we are hunting on the 17th, and shooting one more day to dial in...Any suggestions or comments are appreciated..

10110912086.jpg
[/img]

i'd be worried. You say it kicked so it could have been flinching but i dunno. Maybe try a little more powder.

Thanks for the reply.

Could I have flinched...Maybe..I was really trying not to, but my shoulder was hurting good at that point.

I would have to say as well, he bought it as a combo, I am not real impressed with the scope...It might be fine...But I trust my base, Warne rings, and Burris a little more..

If all you have done so far is shoot then adjust the scope for point of impact, then the next time you shoot I would shoot at least 3 shots to confirm what kind of groups its going to hold. 5 shots would be better.
shots #6 and #7 look promising....so see if it will hold 3-5 shots in the same area. If it does, but your group size is too big for your liking, try bumping up your powder charge to 90 or 100 grs.

My Pursuit XLT shoots real good with 100 gr 777FF and a 220 gr PR Dead Center using CCI 450M small rifle primers. I have it sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yds. That puts me dead nuts at 150 and about 4 inches low at 200. I've tried alot of different loads including 777 pellets, 200 and 250 gr shockwaves, 180 220, 240 and 260 gr dead centers and a variety of primers. I am getting 1and a half inch groups at 150 yds with the above load. I'm inside 1 inch at 100 yds.

I too bought the package with the Traditions 2x7 x 32 scope. While it is probably not the best scope, I haven't had any problems with it. I have been looking to upgrade to a Nikon for next year, but for this year, I'm sticking to what I've got. Seems to be working well.

I'm shooting to White Hot pellets and Parker Extreme 250's with good results. I know the White Hots don't have a big following on here but they shoot good in my gun.

If you can get a lead sled your shoulder will love you again. I am lucky that I am not recoil flinchy. Some folks are though. You could be doing a little trigger punching also. Good luck!

Traditions sight-in

I have to agree with Flatlanders comments. Don't try to hurry the sight-in....use at LEAST 3 shot of better groups b4 changing the scope. I shoot that same Hornady bullet out of my CVA Kodiak with good results @ 100 yds. using 90 grs. of BH-209 with very little recoil. Over 100 grains bothers me , but 90 grs. gave excellent results. & no cleaning between shots. Mine is sighted 1-1/2" HI @ 100 yds. :wink:
Art.

P.S. We did a downrange result test with the FPB & the mushroom we ended up with was a perfect expansion.

Take along an extra sand bag next time (or something else to absorb/spread the recoil) and up the powder as FG suggested. I would try 90 then 100 if 90 didn't tighten things up.

i'm shootin a pursuist lt with 300gr. .452 45cal xtp with a harvester crush rib sabot and 90 gr. of blackhorn and a federal 209m primer. itis also a combo gun i have no noticeable recoil that i notice and i'm shooting off just a front bag as support, this load in my gun shoots under 1 1/2 inch all day long.
102_2896.jpg

i started at 80gr. then went to 85 then stayed at 90 dont see any reason to go above 90. with groups like that. i also sight in on a CLEAN BARREL EVERY SHOT! i want it as it will be when i go to the woods. but as stated above you need to get the gun shooting groups that you are happy with 3-5 shots per group them make scope adjustments you move groups not chase shots. also i have to say this but you are rushing all this way to much, you are better off missing the hunt because you and your gun are not ready to hunt, shooting paper and attempting to take a life is like night and day! you could just wound the animal or wound or kill someone else! if you dont know where the shots are goin 100% its just not worth it. yes wounding does happen but we need to do as much as we possible can do to try and prevent it as much as possible. i sat out the first week and a half one season because me and my gun weren't hunt ready range ok but hunt no. got it all where we needed to be and went out and had a great safe season. not bashin ya just givin you some things to think about. if i'm off base here guys someone please speak up and let me know or please back me up if i'm not.

i'm shootin a pursuist lt with 300gr. .452 45cal xtp with a harvester crush rib sabot and 90 gr. of blackhorn and a federal 209m primer. itis also a combo gun i have no noticeable recoil that i notice and i'm shooting off just a front bag as support, this load in my gun shoots under 1 1/2 inch all day long.
102_2896.jpg

i started at 80gr. then went to 85 then stayed at 90 dont see any reason to go above 90. with groups like that. i also sight in on a CLEAN BARREL EVERY SHOT! i want it as it will be when i go to the woods. but as stated above you need to get the gun shooting groups that you are happy with 3-5 shots per group them make scope adjustments you move groups not chase shots. also i have to say this but you are rushing all this way to much, you are better off missing the hunt because you and your gun are not ready to hunt, shooting paper and attempting to take a life is like night and day! you could just wound the animal or wound or kill someone else! if you dont know where the shots are goin 100% its just not worth it. yes wounding does happen but we need to do as much as we possible can do to try and prevent it as much as possible. i sat out the first week and a half one season because me and my gun weren't hunt ready range ok but hunt no. got it all where we needed to be and went out and had a great safe season. not bashin ya just givin you some things to think about. if i'm off base here guys someone please speak up and let me know or please back me up if i'm not.

Thanks again for the replies..

I will find out in the morning...I will first try to shoot a group...And then dial it in further if need be. Or I should say my cousin will be doing the shooting, since he will be with me..

Horsefly, I understand what you are saying. I would not have my cousin hunt if I thought he could not take a deer cleanly. If he gets a shot, it will be a maximum of 80 yards while hunting. If, in a worst case scenario, we can not get those groups to tighten up somewhat, he will be limmited to a 50 yard shot.

I am confident in his ability as well, as he shoots fine groups with his other rifles. The only thing that really bothered me was shot #6...But maybe I messed up, or the rifle does not like this combo...

Ok...Update..

Shot the rifle at 50 yard mark. Windage was perfect.

Wound up with verticle stringing though...A perfect line of 7 shots, 6 inches from the top of the bull, to the bull.. :evil: A couple of targets, with a couple of different powder charges, same result. Well, I guess he will have to use one of my buddies rifles, until we can get this figuered out...Something with the forend maybe? Seems like a lrge verticle string for only 50 yards...

Wound up with vertical stringing though...A perfect line of 7 shots, 6 inches from the top of the bull, to the bull.. Seems like a large vertical string for only 50 yards...

Yeah, that's pretty extreme for 50 yards Duckaroni. But at least you have the windage issue solved. With that kind of vertical stringing I would suspect one of the following.

1. Inconsistent bullet seating. Make sure the same amount of pressure is applied each time the bullet is seated.

2. Inconsistent placement on the bags. Place the same spot of the forearm on the bags for each shot.

3. Inconsistent grip on gun. Be consistent with the grip on the gun. (This one is my personal demon. :oops: ) Watch out for the tendency to grip the gun tighter with each succeeding shot.

4. Powder charge needs adjustment - 5 or 10 grains up or down.

5. Gun lock up is not tight - movement between barrel and breech with action closed.

Can that forearm be easily shimmed away from the barrel with washers? A rubber washer might help, if so.

The thing i llked about my Tradition pursuit pro i had is the all steel receiver, made it over 8 lbs and the recoil was very mild . I shot 100 grains of Pyrodex with the 28'' barrel and 300 grain xtp as do three friends But they have a 26'' barrels and use 90 grains, they all are tack drivers . :D

Underclocked said:
Can that forearm be easily shimmed away from the barrel with washers? A rubber washer might help, if so.

The forearm at the receiver holds the barrel on to the receiver when you open the action . so if you change the forearm the barrel with almost fall off when open . Unless they changed it . My Traditions pursuit pro was that way .

horsefly said:

Gotta love them 300 .452 XTP's been a real good bullet in both my encore and my Traditions Pursuit pro i had . Both Tack drivers . I have tried many others but nothing has shot as good , I was just given 12 300 grain . 452 gold dots to try .( thanks sabotloader) I love heavy bullets !!!

Latest posts

Back