Cleaning Tips

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sequel

Reaction score
I'm waiting on a few more supplies to come in before I can shoot my new Acurra V2 and I have some cleaning questions. I picked up some BH209 as well as T7 pellets. I'd like to try them both.

Can I use good old Hoppes #9 to clean for both powders, BH209 only or what?

Can I just use the soap and water method if I have nothing else?

I noticed Cabelas had a citrus based cleaner. Does something like a general citrus degreaser work? I've read about folks using Windex but did not know what ingredient in the Windex was the important one. I know I can buy all the stuff CVA recommends and if necessary I will but I've never with all my other guns solvent and oil always did the trick. I know the black powder is different so I want to get it right. Thanks.

Not really.

BH 209 needs to be cleaned like smokeless powder. Hoppe's 9 works good, but it shouldn't be the one made for black powder.

T7 cleans like real BP and all the subs. Soap and water, windex, Ballistol, Hoppe's 9 for BP. etc etc.

Hoppes 9 was never a good cleaner for T7 or the other subs, in some cases, it caked the powder hard in the bore and make cleaning a lot harder. I like Windex for cleaning T7 fouling. Or like Colorado said, Warm soapy water and just dip your patches into it and clean the bore.

The citrus cleaners worked excellent in my BP revolver i had years ago when shooting Pyrodex. I'd give it a try with T7 and see how you like it.

For BH209 i am using birchwood caseys Bore scrubber in a spray can. I really like it so far but want to test it for a few more months to make sure its worth while.

Butches bore shine is an excellent cleaner for BH209 and one i highly recommend.

Check this out though, One product for inside the bore and the other goes on anything metal to protect against dirt, grime, rust and corrosion.
http://www.dynamicfinishes.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=2&parent=1

With those 2 products, you completely eliminate the need for oiling the bore or outside of the rifle.

How important is it to clean the gun immediately after shooting? Does it make a difference whether I was using BH209 or T7? I've read posts here where some of you mention waiting a few days to clean and I always thought that was taboo with BP.

with T7 and BH209 you can easily go a few days without having to fully clean it. Pyrodex, Black powder, These powders you really should get to within a day.

BH209 though you will really love. The clean up is just 5 or 6 patches. On an Dyna Tek Bore Coated bore, maybe 3 cleaning patches.

FrontierGander said:
I like Windex for cleaning T7 fouling. quote]

What ingredient in the Windex makes it effective? I'm asking because my wife buys the generic and I know some come with different ingredients such as with or without ammonia.

its mainly water with ammonia. I like the ammonia as it helps dry things out faster and prevent flash rust.

Windex with vinegar is a favorite with those that shoots T7

Latest posts

Back