MDM muzzle loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbuff

Reaction score
Anyone have a MDM muzzle loader,any pro's or con's??

I have a NEF Heritage ML now and love it, just thinking about getting another one other then a TC. {not bashing them, just not for me}

Thanks,
Steve

sbuff said:
Anyone have a MDM muzzle loader,any pro's or con's??

I have a NEF Heritage ML now and love it, just thinking about getting another one other then a TC. {not bashing them, just not for me}

Thanks,
Steve

Check the twist. The 45 has a very fast 1-20 twist and ive seen conflicting info about the 50cal twist.

Ive seen the 50cal rated at 1-24 and 1-28, both IMO are fine for a 50cal.

Now more about the gun. Its bore is a bit loose from reviews ive seen. Roughly .502 and .511 according to Toby Bridges website. Personally i love the thumbhole quickshooter and if they ever offered a 1-24 45cal carbine (24") i would be all over it.

The frame appears to be made in Brazil, possibly Rossi and steel if i remember correctly. BH209 friendly. The barrel has no import proof marks so it might be made in the USA.

I will put it like this, if i didnt buy my 45 Accura. The next gun on my list was a MDM Quickshooter 50cal with a thumbhole. Im not sure if they still offer this stock but it looks sweet.

MDM

I had one about 4 years ago for one season., SS full length 50 cal. Nice enough rifle, very heavy though and I could not get mine to shoot better than about 2" at 100 which should be good enough for a lot of folks. The bore on mine was pretty rough and it took me hours to clean it when I opened the box. The owner of the company seems to be a decent guy and wanted me to send it back but I sold it cheap rather than go through the hassle and bought an Omega. The biggest drawback I saw was that you couldn't get into the action to clean it. The one season I had it was rainy and you could see the rust coming out of the action when I shook it out (shooting T7) at the end of the day. BTW that was also happening with a buddy's SS Encore. For me anyway, I won't buy a rifle that I can't take apart easily to clean the guts.

smong2000
There is only about 7 moving parts in that Encore and I do not have any problem stripping mine down all the way and cleaning it.

Thanks Lee, I still have one Encore that I set up for varmints that doesn't see much weather but I'd still like to clean it regularly. Could you direct me to instructions how to strip it down. Steve

Sorry for the hijack, maybe PM would be better.

Back