Clean/Reliable primers for BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulions

Reaction score
I've been using Win. 209 primers in my Endeavor with great results but I have read on here that some guys have had trouble with a few hang fires using these primers. What do you guys think is the cleanest, most reliable primer in cold and warm weather for BH209 use. Are the CCI 209M or the Fed. 209A primers any cleaner or more reliable.

"Clean" is pretty elusive but the drill bit remedy is fast and simple enough.

Fed 209A has worked well down to 10 degrees for me.

I use CCI209M. Never had a problem with them. I can't remember which brand it was (either Fed 209 or Win 209) but in my older plunger gun, sometimes the back of the primer would blowout. Switched to CCI, problem went away. I have used CCI in very cold weather and they have never failed to fire. Of the 3 brands I have tried, never really noticed one being more dirty than the others.

I have been using Winchester 209 but will be trying out CCI209 very soon.

Steve

I use Win209 mainly because they work, fit well and seem cleaner. The Rem STS seems good too but ignition is just barely less dependable in my current CVA breach plug. After i enlarge the channel and hole i would bet the Rem STS will be just as good. My WinApex plug has way more use and is slightly larger from using torch picks and the Rem STS is pretty good.

When i hunt with a totally clean plug in cold weather i do prefer the CCI209M with BH209.

Using T7 i really like the Rem STS but there are probably better primers for T7. Again its a cost issue for me. $6-8 per 100 primers that are lower power just seems like a rip off.

But opinions vary and we can all learn new tricks. :D

Hulions said:
Which primer is hotter. The Win. 209 or the Rem. STS?
According to Sabotloaders primer pressure chart the Rem STS is 338 f.p.s. and the W209 is 336 f.p.s. So they are about the same. Sabotloader is very knowledgeable about this stuff and can provide some more explanation.

I was using CCI 209M's because I couldn't find any Fed 209A's. They both good primers but the Fed's are hotter. So I use them. Neither are clean.

I use Winchester W209 primers in my TC Omega and have never had any problems. A friend of mine used the same (W209) primers in his TC Omega and had hang fires. He experimented with different primers and then cleaned his flash hole. He went back to W209 and has not had any problems since. He makes cleaning the flash hole on his breach plug part of his cleaning practice.

Keep in mind that changing primers WILL affect you POI so once you find the one that works, your better off sticking with it. Unless you want a good excuse to spend more time at the range :D

Hulions said:
I've been using Win. 209 primers in my Endeavor with great results but I have read on here that some guys have had trouble with a few hang fires using these primers. What do you guys think is the cleanest, most reliable primer in cold and warm weather for BH209 use. Are the CCI 209M or the Fed. 209A primers any cleaner or more reliable.
I have tried most of the available primers in my Encore, the two things that made a difference were not the primers all though all of the primers made for reloading work fine if a bit dirty.
I expect that you know a Encore is adjustable for head space, when that adjustment is exactly right it holds the 209 tight into the breach plug with out any hang up in closing this helps.
The other thing that helped was the way Sabotloader and I are putting vent liners in the flame channel is enlarged by a #21 drill [we started this to repair flame cut breach plugs instead of throwing them away] and the Lehigh vent liner helps control both the carbon and the blowback. I was not getting any blowback any way in the Triumph or the Endeavor but it really helped with the carbon and also with the blowback in the Omega, adding a O ring under the 209 is necessary in some brands of guns that are more loosely made.

Back