Breech Plug Removal - Hinge Pin Stress

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to muzzleloader's and have been thru almost the entire forum and I think I have learned a lot already - thanks for all the great info! One question that I have not run across is "what is the best way to remove a tight breech plug without damaging the hinge pin - or is this even an issue? On Sat (my first time out) I shot 15 rounds T7 and the breech plug was pretty tight, on Sun I turned it back and forth after about every 6 shots and determined that that was a better way to go but it was still fairly tight ... also I turn it back about 1/8th turn after seating. In the removal process it seemed to me that there was a lot of stress being put on the hinge pin so I wondered if this is something I should be concerned about. I really don't want to go thru the barrel removal process each time and even if I would then I would need to put it in a vise to hold it even if I did the loosening after every 6 shots or so. I do use grease, a lot of grease! The gun is a Pursuit XLT Thumbhole w 2x7 Nikon and shoots great - still playing with loads and bullets.

Wrap the threads with regular old Teflon tape then put a light coat of anti-sieze, like you'd use for bolts in your car. Problem solved!

OK, I've read about using the tape - but I also have read that it helps but it still can be difficult to get it out and that is my concern, how much turning torque should one subject to the hinge pin, and if done repeatedly will it affect the fit of the barrel to the trigger mechanism? I see Cabela's sells the hinge pins for T/C, so it made me wonder if these are typical replacement items and if there might be a way to minimize there wear. Maybe I am overly focused on this but being new at muzzleloaders I just thought I'd ask. I will try the combination of tape and grease the next time out.
Thanks.

Make sure you use anti-sieze and not grease. Minute particles get into grease and cause the threads to sieze and heat compounds the problem.

Try Slick 50 grease, WalMart sells it. I don't have a stuck plug anymore with that stuff. Also, not familiar with the pursuit, if it has a hinge pin I assume the barrel comes off the frame, why not just take the barrel off prior to removing the plug to avoid and hinge pin issues?

Jeeeeeze! I guess I gota get some tape and Slick 50 then. I put about 15 rounds thru yesterday and even after loosening it after about every 5 rounds I had to fight with it to get it out. Even tried a cordless drill but ended up going back to the manual method - it took about 20 in 'n outs with the wrench to get it out. IS THIS AT ALL NORMAL? I used the T/C grease this time used CVA stick too. Am thinking I should have checked out the T/C Triumph a little more with the finger removable breech plug ... just didn't like the fit and trigger finger setup - too tight for me!

Butch said:
Jeeeeeze! I guess I gota get some tape and Slick 50 then. I put about 15 rounds thru yesterday and even after loosening it after about every 5 rounds I had to fight with it to get it out. Even tried a cordless drill but ended up going back to the manual method - it took about 20 in 'n outs with the wrench to get it out. IS THIS AT ALL NORMAL? I used the T/C grease this time used CVA stick too. Am thinking I should have checked out the T/C Triumph a little more with the finger removable breech plug ... just didn't like the fit and trigger finger setup - too tight for me!

:D :D :D :D A new T/C man is made everyday at the range.

Chocdog

Yup! Would have bought the T/C but didn't like the fit at all! I'm think'n that I just need to try a couple of different things but maybe this is "just the beast of the sport". I can't even find any comments from T/C user's about how easy it is to remove their "new style"breech plugs so I'm guessing it might be better but not the greatest thing since sliced bread. I bought a socket and extension, I think that is going to be probably the best solution, along with teflon tape and lots'a grease! Still learn'n about muzzleloaders!

Butch,

I use the tape and grease on my older Encore's but my Pro hunters with tape and grease are just twist and pull.

The socket wrench is a safe way to remove the breech plug with-out risking screwing something up. If you "Sieze" a breechplug with a T/C rifle they will replace it . I do not know what CVA policy is....They might send you an CVA ELECTRA.
:wink:
Greg

TEFLON TAPE AND GREASE IS THE WAY TO GO!
Can't believe how much easier it was to remove breech plug today! Almost a finger turn effort to get out.

Also shot sub 1 inch groups with 120grains T7 ... I did lap the barrel before shooting today ... something else I pickup up here on the forum.

Thanks for all the Great Info Everyone!
Butch

Latest posts

Back