Catched Some Pigs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A lease Mate and i found these hogs in our traps this morning:

This boar weighed about 225 pounds:

c27gRGfl.jpg

The pig weighed about 70 pounds. The very pregnant sow was dead. She weighed about 200 pounds. Infrequently pregnant sows die when trapped. i've seen it happen twice:

nwZbN1dl.jpg

The third trap held a pig that weighed about 80 pounds and a fat 275 pound pregnant sow. She was pregnant with 10 pigs. That sow is at the butcher shop.

2GddO3nl.jpg

Never saw a hog die in a trap before....at least until they got a bullet in their brain. I check my traps ever morning, and they aren't in them that long though.

I used to see lots of wild hog signs on my 20 acres but in the last few years I think the neighbor's dogs have run them off. Seeing lots of big Labs tracks but no hogs, deer or turkey.

I check my traps ever morning, and they aren't in them that long though.

We checked those traps the next morning. All those traps have game cameras nearby. That sow died about six hours after entering the trap. The other pregnant sow died in less than ten hours. Two other sows have birthed pigs in our traps.

Last edited:
what makes that happen? the stress of being caught in the trap that they abort & or die? the out come will be the same.

what makes that happen?

We have caught dozens of pregnant sows. It probably has something to do with very late stage pregnancy. Without a doubt it's stress related. Neither of the sows in my traps fought to escape. At some point they simply laid down and died.

Have talked with others that have had pregnant sows die in traps. They don't have an answer.

well if you know / find out, please let us know?

question, if they die in this way are they still eatable?

I would like to know if they are eatable as well, but also, in the case of a very pregnant sow, would the meat be off a little due to the physical/chemical drain on the mother associated with being pregnant? I shot a doe one time that was pregnant but she was not very far along, the meat tasted fine though

I would like to know if they are eatable as well, but also, in the case of a very pregnant sow, would the meat be off a little due to the physical/chemical drain on the mother associated with being pregnant?

No. Had some sausage this morning from the other big pregnant sow.

OOHHOO!! not me either!, eggs, yes, but hold the sausages, I'LL PASS!!!!

I got to say it takes one Helleva man to eat dead pig sausage! more power to you! you are more of a man than me.

got to say it takes one Helleva man to eat dead pig sausage! more power to you! you are more of a man than me.

Never ate any meat of an animal that had died.

It was the big fat live pregnant sow in the third trap. She was dead after my partner shot her.

Back