Well I had to Get some...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWThomas

I can not believe anyone would shoot a deer with a BMG, but as he said he was testing... I wonder if he is persueing some sort of a miltatry contract????

Actually, I would really like to shoot a BMG just to say I have shot one - but to hunt with seems a bit rediculas. But with your military experaince you have probably been introduced/exposed to stuff about long range shooting I would not even think of.

mike

Off topic but BMG ammo is usually $10-12/cartridge and with these bullets it is probably significantly greater- I couldnt afford to sight one in!

sabotloader said:
SWThomas

I can not believe anyone would shoot a deer with a BMG, but as he said he was testing... I wonder if he is persueing some sort of a miltatry contract????

Actually, I would really like to shoot a BMG just to say I have shot one - but to hunt with seems a bit rediculas. But with your military experaince you have probably been introduced/exposed to stuff about long range shooting I would not even think of.

mike

Unless he's making some pointy bullets, the military isn't going to sign that contract. We're all about long range bullets and full metal jackets. We don't shoot any expanding bullets. The way the military bullet philosophy was explained to me is that we don't use expanding bullets so when we shoot someone they don't die immediately and then it takes another enemy combatant to drag them off the battle field. That theory sounds logical in conventional warfare but todays warfare is anything but conventional.

We do shoot some pretty incredible distances with just open sights. I qualify with an M16A2 Service Rifle and an M9 Service Pistol every year. The furthest I shoot with the M16A2 (open sights) is 500 yards and the furthest with the pistol is 25 yards. Both are fired at man sized targets and I hit black with the vast majority of my shots. Even though shooting with a scope is much easier than open sights, I still use a lot of the marksmanship fundamentals I was taught by the USMC when shooting my private weapons. But my 8th award Expert rifle and 4th award Expert pistol badges mean nothing to some of the shooters we have in our ranks. Some of these guys shoot their match M16's for competition from 1,000 yards with open sights. :shock: And don't get me started on our snipers. Those guys are simply amazing!

Yeah, but the results are not apples to apples. The big fiddy is using a super high BC bullet (over 1.0), so they maintain a huge amount of energy downrange. The bullets are ~2" long. Even shooting military ball ammo, they do a nasty number to flesh and bones. That's why they are used for long range sniping.

BTW, if the shooter reloads, you can get the price of BMG ammo down to ~$2 per shot. The big guns are popular out here in the desert. And they are a hoot to shoot at rocks at 1000 yards.

You got it Thomas. I was a member of Quantico Gun Club for many years. Watching the rifle team shoot at the 1K line and scoring pretty well was impressive.

SWThomas

Here is the BMG bullet - looks pretty 'pointy' to me... Again I do not know for sure and i have not asked Dave but I think that is what he is working on...

It is solid brass...

50bmg.jpg

AJ said:
Yeah, but the results are not apples to apples. The big fiddy is using a super high BC bullet (over 1.0), so they maintain a huge amount of energy downrange. The bullets are ~2" long. Even shooting military ball ammo, they do a nasty number to flesh and bones. That's why they are used for long range sniping.

BTW, if the shooter reloads, you can get the price of BMG ammo down to ~$2 per shot. The big guns are popular out here in the desert. And they are a hoot to shoot at rocks at 1000 yards.

You got it Thomas. I was a member of Quantico Gun Club for many years. Watching the rifle team shoot at the 1K line and scoring pretty well was impressive.

Oh yeah! I was stationed in Quantico for 2 years before moving down here. I know what you mean. :D

sabotloader said:
SWThomas

Here is the BMG bullet - looks pretty 'pointy' to me... Again I do not know for sure and i have not asked Dave but I think that is what he is working on...

It is solid brass...

50bmg.jpg

Huh, interesting. I wonder what advantage these would have over the projectiles we're currently using...

SWThomas

I really do not know if there is an advantage... the military spec will be written for any company to supply the milatay with ball ammunition so he has built these to those specs... His problem in the beginning was to get them to perform to the spec, which he says they now do....

Here is his description....

The .510 Solid Ball brass bullet is an excellent alternative to those requiring accuracy far exceeding standard 50 BMG military ball projectiles. Minimal diameter variation and a consistent axis of rotation from a solid, machined projectile accounts for exceptional accuracy and group size in a fairly inexpensive bullet. Weight - 645 grains BC (calculated) - 0.684 Length - 2.100 Design velocity - 21,050-3,000 Material - UNSC36000 brass

BD of .684 - that is pretty decent BC

Latest posts

Back