2nd time ever shooting a ML / Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankhead

Reaction score
All 100 yard shots measured w/ my Nikon Monarch 800 RF
Omega SS TH Lam 50 cal
Tripe7 FFG Powder
W209 primers
Hornaday SST's

I: (4)250gr SST's w/ 90gr T7
II: (3)300gr SST's w/ 90gr T7
III: (3 total): (1)300gr SST w/ 90gr; (2)300gr SST's 100 gr T7
adjustrd 10 clicks left 1/4 MOA
IV: (2) 300gr SST's w/ 100gr T7
adjusted 8 clicks down
V: (2)300gr SST's w/ 100gr T7

I: (3)300gr SST's w/ 100gr T7
10 clicks left
II: (3)300gr SST's w/ 110gr T7
III: (2)300ge SST's 110gr T7

I lost 2 somewhere on this target I believe they were 2 of the 110gr, I had a primer get stuck on my last bullet. So I just cracked the BP and headed home. I shot (4)250gr SST's to start and (19)300gr SST's. A co-worker said it looks like 2 went thru the same hole closest to the zero. I thought so too but I wasn't completely sure.

That group at the upper right bull looks pretty good, but over all it looks like your rifle is just a shooter. Nice going for the second time out. Were you swabbing between shots?

Your being much too generous. :( All shots are aimed at the middle zero. Yes I did swab w/ windex between every shot.

Crud, I can't believe I put up the same target in my sencond pic. Went back and fixed it. Sorry.

Well the rifle is new, and some are just quirky. They have a favorite load and that is it. I am sure it will come around soon.

you must be having sabot issues. My Omega loves the 300gr xtp with 120 Pyrodex RS and the mmp-12 and the mmp-24 sabot.

I'm gonna order some Harvester PT Gold and Crush Rib sabots this week. Gonna try a box (50 bullets) of each, 260gr and 300gr. I definately like the price. $29 for 50 bullets AND sabots. Give another update on those in a couple weeks.

There's a lot of things I need to change. I got some Weaver mounts and Leupold rings already on the way. These $9 T/C Gorilla see-thru mounts I bought at Walmart til I decided what I wanted are really affecting me. Plus no adjustment for eye-refief. I didn't want to take off my rear sight, but If I have to I will now. The Weavers w/ what looks like 3 places for each ring will hopefully help. Want to get as low as I can shootin this ML. Might help when I shoulder it. And this Plano cleaning box w/ the vise that snaps on the top might not be the best rest. Those seem to be obvious changes that should help w/ consistent/representative groups. :?:

Tankhead said:
I'm gonna order some Harvester PT Gold and Crush Rib sabots this week. Gonna try a box (50 bullets) of each, 260gr and 300gr. I definately like the price. $29 for 50 bullets AND sabots. Give another update on those in a couple weeks.

Ive had pretty good luck with them when you find the charge they like. Using BH209 the Crushribs seem to like a bit of fouling before the groups settle down. Give the barrel a good 3min cool down time too.

Get some MMP sabots to try them in also. The 3 petal EZ is similar in loaded OD i think and the HPH24 is a bit larger.

I bought a box of each loose too, Great polytip bullet for the money. I wish they made a 40cal 200gr+. :?

GM54-120 said:
Tankhead said:

Ive had pretty good luck with them when you find the charge they like. Using BH209 the Crushribs seem to like a bit of fouling before the groups settle down. Give the barrel a good 3min cool down time too.

Get some MMP sabots to try them in also. The 3 petal EZ is similar in loaded OD i think and the HPH24 is a bit larger.

Do you mean the HPH24 is smaller? the HPH24 is .505"-.506" diameter. With a .452 diameter bullet the HPH12 is .507-.508" diameter. Thanks for the lead!

I'm glad I hadn't ordered those mounts yet cause I changed to the Warne Maxima's base/rings. I don't know why I persist on going the cheapest route. Sometimes it works out, though. :)

The MMP 3 Petal EZ is their smallest loaded ODand i like them with the longer .452 bullets. I think its the same sabot as a red Hornady Low Drag.

GM54-120 said:
The MMP 3 Petal EZ is their smallest loaded ODand i like them with the longer .452 bullets. I think its the same sabot as a red Hornady Low Drag.
Yes I called them for some info and was told ther 3 petal EZ is the same sabot used on the SSTs

Latest posts

Back