What scope for a Renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonelkhunter

Reaction score
I need some advise from the experts.

My gunsmith is telling me that my Leupold VXII 3-9x is too wide to mount on my T/C Renegade and will interfer with the hammer. He is recommending a fowarded-mounted Extended Relief or Scout type scope?

This is my first time with the Renegade and not sure if he is right or not.

What would you recommend?

Thanks, in advance, OEH.

May have answered my own question with some research on this site.
Post by Cayuga (of course!!!)

Well I have been asked over and over if there are bases out there for the Thompson Center Hawkins, Renegades, Black Mountain Magnums, and New Englanders, PA Hunter, and other rifles... so some of us can mount scopes on them... there are. I called Thompson Center and talked to a very nice young lady who was very helpful. These also fit on the Green Mountain drop in barrels.

I just bought them all up. Kidding!!! These are the mounts that the hammer will miss. You still have to get the rings of your choice, I suggest quick release, and there is no adjustment to the hammer needed. Remember, your rifle will loose the rear sight when you mount this, and make sure your barrel is tapped at the very back of the barrel or you have to send in your barrel, they will tap the barrel and mount the base for you. But they want to do it. Maybe it has something to do with warranty, I did not ask.

Go to the Thompson Center Arms Accessory shop. These mounts are not listed on their web site, so you have to call (Online Sales: 1-800-350-5915 (M-F 9-5 EST)) and talk to the very nice young lady who will set you up and sell you them over the phone.

For the Hawkins, Renegade and other octagon style barrels you will need
# B30088 and the cost is $31.95 For the New Englander, Black Mountain Magnum, PA Hunter and other round ball rifles that are traditional, you will need #B30090 and the cost is $31.95 .

Shipping for the two of them is around $9.00 so there is the information you asked for.
[/quote]

Sounds like the way to go. Would like to hear from anyone with a better or different suggestion. Thanks, Cayuga. OEH

I use offset mounts by Traditions Performance Firearms (listed in the closeout section). They have worked very well on my Investarms rifles. The only problem with a scout scope (I have one on a Carbine), is that crud from firing the rifle ends up on the scope lens. The offset mounts the scope to the side, and are QD.

I have the off-set mount on three Renegades with Simmons 4X ProDiamond scopes. I really, really like them.

Just call Fox Ridge Outfitters (1-800-243-4570 or 1-603-335-2999) and tell them you need a Weaver style scope base for your Renegade (item #43008801). The cost will be $39.90 ($31.95 & $7.95 shipping).

It will mount right on your Renegade using the existing screw holes for the rear sight, plus the hole on top of the breech plug that's plugged with a screw. If your particular gun does not already have the plugged screw hole it will need to be drilled and tapped.

The stock TC hammer clears the bell housing on the scopes I'm using by about 1/8". If your's does not, you can either bend the hammer slightly or call TC and tell them you need an offset hammer for mounting a scope on a Renegade. They sent me one at no charge, which I put on one of my guns. Notice the sligtly different hammer shape on the top gun in the picture. It clears the scope by 1/4".

TheSinfulSisters.jpg

Semisane said:
It will mount right on your Renegade using the existing screw holes for the rear sight, plus the hole on top of the breech plug that's plugged with a screw. If your particular gun does not already have the plugged screw hole it will need to be drilled and tapped.

Thanks, but I have a Green Mountain Replacement barrel on this one. OEH

Same/Same OEH. They fit perfectly on the GM barrels. All three of those guns you see in the picture have GM barrels, (top to bottom) a .45 LRH, a .50 LRH, and a .54 slow twist.

The GM replacement barrels have the plugged screw hole in the breech plug, so you won't need a drill/tap job.

Semisane said:

Same/Same OEH. They fit perfectly on the GM barrels. All three of those guns you see in the picture have GM barrels, (top to bottom) a .45 LRH, a .50 LRH, and a .54 slow twist.

The GM replacement barrels have the plugged screw hole in the breech plug, so you won't need a drill/tap job.

Thanks for the great information.
BTW - are those globe front sights on the sinful sisters? If so, what type are they? Thanks, again. OEH

BTW - are those globe front sights on the sinful sisters? If so, what type are they?

Nope, they're the sights GM puts on their barrels. The top two on the LRH barrels are fiber optics, and the round ball barrel carries a steel beaded blade.

DCP06665.jpg

Here is another Green Mountain Barrel with a T/C 1x32mm Scope. In our muzzleloader season a 1x is legal. A magnified scope is not.

Hey Alberta Boy, all three of those guns you see in the picture have Green Mountain barrels. Top to bottom, they are : .45 Long Range Hunter (1:30 twist), .50 LRH (1:28 twist), and a .54 round ball barrel (1:70 twist).

I'm going to order one of these mounts tomorrow for my Hawken LRH barrel. I have a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 that I'm going to mount on it. I have a set of Weaver Quad-Loc low rings in my parts box. I will end up with nothing invested in it.

Latest posts

Back