Careful what goes in the pot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
This morning I decided to melt down a pile of balls that a customer gave me in a plastic bag.
Just emptied the pot so it was still hot and plugged in. Started pouring the balls into the pot and I see a couple of small red balls. Turns out they are air soft pellets.
Got them out. Don't see anymore and start repouring. Look in the pot and what do I see, a live 209 shotgun primer o_O
I try to grab it but it falls to the bottom of the pot. Lead had not started melting yet, so I turn the pot upside-down on the concrete floor. I found 2 live primers.
This could have ended bad, thank God I saw the one go in. And lead was not already hot. I keep picturing one going off in a hot pot of lead.

Attachments

• 20210302_091441.jpg
    20210302_091441.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 2
Eagle eye 👍🏼
Good thing you noticed. I couldn’t imagine what would’ve happened if they went off 💥

I've seen a friend who had a lead pot explode, water entered by way of an unforeseeable accident, not pretty at all, he was thankful for his safety glasses saving his eyes.

in the summer I have had an incident when I was out side running lead in JULY and bending over the lead pot and sweat from my brow went into the lot. POOF! I did not get hurt but the molto lead stuck to my T-SHIRT. so becarefull. lead & H2O, dose not mix!!

we, ashamed to mention it, but I do my lead melting/pouring outside under a big oak near the barn, always set up where the breeze is cross of me, anyhow, failed to look up once, and about half hour into working, I heard a "thump". An arm size rotten limb decided to drop about 3 ft.behind me. I always look up now......... if it had hit the pot well,,..........

Back