Why not use smokeless?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james 14

Reaction score
Considering a certain amount of pressure will push a bullet at a certain speed and most MLs can handle the typical pressure required to push a bullet at the speeds we're accustomed to (if that makes any sense)...bear with me...just had wrist surgery and typing ain't easy.

Couldn't a slow burning smokeless powder be used safely so long as certain limits were adhered to? Isn't BH209 essentially a form of a smokeless powder?

Not advising that anyone try this but I am curious if it has been tried. For it to be so adamantly prohibited I imagine a test gun or two has been blown to give reason.

I believe more than "test" guns have been blown up trying smokeless powders :shock:

It is probably "possible", but HIGLY unadviseable. Muzzleloading barrels are just not tested to smokeless standards, so anything you try is an unknown, whether powder type or weight of load.

My body parts and firearms are a little too valuable to me to risk in this way.

james 14

There really are more people than you would think using smokeless in ML's.... It is really not the barrel, if you a high quality gun as most barrels are made from the same metal as center fires...(but are not TESTED) the real difference is the breech plug and what holds it in place + the projectile you put in the bore...

I DO NOT recommend using Smokeless in a non-smokleless ML.

As you have seen on this and maybe other forums... there are folks taking a 45-70 rifle and converting that to a ML and they do use smokeless but the action is designed to hold the pressure.

What kind of plug does the Savage have?

I imagine the last thing you'd want is to have half your face blown off when the threads strip out.

Those 45-70s are sweet looking. I'd like to get one someday.

I think you are right, in reference to BH209 being a slow-burning nitrocelulose powder. But it is specially formulated to keep pressures within muzzleloader specs. It takes special equipment to be able to test the pressures being created by smokeless in a ML, and for us normal people, it's just not adviseable. Personally, I'd like to keep my face and hands in one piece, so I'll stay away from smokeless.

Back