T7 pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the difference between the T7 pellets and the T7 Magnum pellets?
I can't find any info on them or comparison. Short of calling to company which I will do if I have too though I would look here first.

with t7 pellets, you'd normally use 3 *50* grain pellets to = 150gr charge. With the magnums, you just use 2 pellets to = 150gr charge.

So even though they are listed as 50 gr. pellets they carry the power of a 75 gr. pellet. The one thing I have pondered for a long time now is how people were shooting 3 T7 pellete when the manufacture only recconende two pellets in any combination. This must be there answer. Thanks

Stick with loose. If you buy that Knight you are looking at good with BH 209. You will not be sorry. :)

i hunt only with T7 PELLETS ..2 pellets is more than enough for hunting deer ...also use the BARNES EXPANDER MZ . no deer has walked away from me yet ..i like pellets because it is simple to load and no measuring is needed also when unloading if u remove the breech plug the pellets drop into your hand ,loose powder gets into the threads and action ..i never shot out my load at the end of my hunt i unload but hey use whatever suits u best that is what muzzleloading is al about.

Hornet22savage
The load measure in a T7 pellet is based on pyrodex rather than T7 loose there for in a 150 gr barrel a 3x50=150 gr pyrodex would be ok.
Do not put 3x75 [magnum pellets] in any gun.

My understanding was... the standard T-7 pellets were reduced in weight so their power would equal that of Pyrodex RS pellets. So in reality the standard 50 grain pellet is not really a 50 grain pellet. The T-7 magnum pellets ARE a real 50 grain or what ever they advertise to be pellet in weight. So technically you get a little more power with them as compared to the standard pellet.

While some people who shoot a magnum load use three of the standard pellets, they can find the same or near performance with two of the magnum pellets.

Personally I will not shoot the Triple Seven pellets as I had a very bad experience with them. I purchased two boxes of them. The first box of pellets shot well, although I achieved better accuracy using Pyrodex Pellets. The second box of them must have been exposed to something because I had numerous misfires in the box of pellets.

Many people shoot the Triple Seven pellets with good results. So I am not trying to talk you out of them. But like the others said, I get much better results with loose Triple Seven powder.

Don't worry i was not going to put three magnum pellets in my gun. My LK-93 is actually only rated for 120 gr. max load. I was just asking because the maker of T7 tells you to use no more than two pellets in any combination. However I'm seeing manufactures listing estimated velocities with 150 grains of T7 and stating in writing that they use three 50 gr. pellets, and I was wondering what made the magnums special since they are only 50 gr. they are the same as the normal pellets.

Hornet22savage

Let me try this one for a minute...

Regular T7 pellets are made to be an eqivalent in power to a like amount of loose BP and Pyro.

So, 1 regular 50 grain T7 pellet is equal to 50 grains of loose real BP or 50 grains of loose Pyro, and equal to about 40 grains of T7-2f loose powder.

3 regular T7 pellets is then about equal to 150 grains of loose BP or Pyro.

3 regular T7 pellets is also equal to about 120 grains of loose T7-2f powder.

1 - T7 Magnum pellets are about equal to 60 grains of loose T7-2f powder.
2 - T7 Mag pellets are then equal to about 120 grains of loose T7-2f or 150 grains of BP or Pyro.
3 - T7 Mag pellets would then be about equal to 180 grains of loose T7-2f or 200 grains of BP or Pyro.

This is all done in round numbers but I hope it gives you the ideal...

Somebody else check the math - it is not my strong point

tried three of the standard pellets [50 grain] gained nothing and got a lot of fliers at 100 yards ..so i am back with 2 standered pellets [50 grain] good enough for me ...tests were made on the range with my hunting parteners T/C TRIUMPH ...

Ok I got it now, one more question then. If T7 and BH209 have more power than Pyrodex and Black powder garin for grain. Then how can Knight tell me that It is safe to shoot 120 gr. of loose T7 or BH 209 from my LK-93 when I was told by a Knight customer service person that it was rated for a max load of 120 gr. BP or Pyro. I have added an E-Mail from Knight.

Yes, 120 is the max, even with that powder.

THANK YOU,
Knight Tech Support & Order Dept
641-856-2624 ext 143
21822 HWY J46
CENTERVILLE, IA 52544
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tue 2/9/2010 8:08 PM
To: Knight Rifles Customer Service
Subject: Re: KnightRifles_ContactUs_Submission

Does this mean that I can safely shoot 120 grains of Triple seven loose powder? What is the defect with the breech plug that does not light up the BH 209 effeciently>
Thanks Cliff
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 8:19 AM
Subject: RE: KnightRifles_ContactUs_Submission

120 in the blackhorn is the max also in your rifle. But you won't and we don't make a breech plug that will light up that new blackpowder effeciently in your rifle.

THANK YOU,
Knight Tech Support & Order Dept
641-856-2624 ext 143
21822 HWY J46
CENTERVILLE, IA 52544

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hornet22savage

I have a LK93 54cal with a 209 FPJ conversion. It will ignite BH209 just fine but.....

At 100gr BH209 with a heavy bullet the FPJ was blown off once and pushed the plunger backward. I didnt try to go any hotter after that.

IMO 100gr of BH209 is max in a 54cal LK93 depending on the bullet. The flash hole is quite large in mine at roughly .037 and the bullet was rather large 385gr+ total weight.

I havent tried the same amount or more of T7 yet.

We are getting into something here that may be a bit technical for some people.
When you deal with velocity and judge that the pressures are the same from that or from the symptoms of blowback it is a mistake.
When you start talking about Blackhorn you are changing from BP and 777 which are constant burning powders to Blackhorn which is a progressive burning powder.
Velocity and pressure and blowback are not related by ratio there for the relationships cannot be judged by velocity.
For instance Blackhorn has a lower pressure by about 15% than 777, but it maintains that pressure several milliseconds longer to produce the same velocity when dealing with load under 110 gr when dealing with loads over that the fact that Blackhorn is progressive burning and maintains the pressure longer changes the potential there for higher velocity is possible with Blackhorn but if you do not establish the limits by pressure testing then a progressive burning powder is more dangerous because it builds pressure much faster.
I hope this improves your understanding. Lee

Back