.45 cal powerbelts in accura?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magbolt150

Reaction score
just wondering what weight powerbelt will hold together with 100-150 grain charge in .45 accura? most shots will be about 100 yards but sometimes just get those lucky close shots and dont want bullet exploding.

I wouldn't use 150 grains of powder with ANY Powerbelt. In the .45, 100 grains of powder should work well with the 275 grain hollow-points or the 300 grain Platinums. That is, if you can get them too shoot accurately....

I consider 80 gr to be a max load with a PB. If you want to shoot heavy loads The FPB 350 gr or 300 gr or a Thor or a Gold Dot or a Barns or Nosler in a sabot will do well.

Mine shot the 300gr PB Plat very well with 100gr of BH209 but i have no idea how well that load would work on game.

One things is for sure, there is no way i would pay retail for those Plats with other premium quality bullets available for even less.

If its just a bore size "thing" the PR Ultimate QT360gr conical is IMO a better bullet at a slightly cheaper price. It shot slightly better in both my 45s with just 80 and 90grs.

I was a big power belt fan with T7 pellets { 2 } But after reading all the reviews I switched to the FPB's. It seems most people who use Power Belts either love them or hate them.but the hornady FPB's you might want to try too..Actually not sure if they make then for the .45..

There are members on this board who have seem them shatter on impact.Hopefully if you use them no game is lost.

Good luck,
Steve

Unless they're a closely guarded secret Hornady doesn't make an FBP in 45 cal.

I used the 275 gr. powerbelt aerotip for a season or two a while back. It's probably the lightest weight I'd feel really comfortable using. I shot two deer and a hog I can remember. I got all pass-throughs and I want to say I was using somewhere around 100-120gr of 777 2f. One deer was at about 20 ft, one was at about 40 yards and the hog was at 100 yards. The bullet did perfectly on all three and on the hog it went through both shoulder/leg joints. I consider this to be exemplary performance for what I want a bullet to do. I would imagine the 300gr plat would do the same or more. I would not use a powerbelt without the AT or some type of plug like frontier gander makes.

I'd still be using this bullet if it grouped in my new gun the way I want it to and if I wasn't trying to find a lighter saboted round to do the job.

100gr bh209 with a 300gr platinum was more than enough recoil for me in saxmans .45 kodiak.

why the need for 150 grains?

frontier gander said:
100gr bh209 with a 300gr platinum was more than enough recoil for me in saxmans .45 kodiak.

why the need for 150 grains?

It is a bit stout. :D

You should try the PR 360gr with 90gr too. ;)

Both bring the little 45 to life. The 300gr Plat is the only 45 PB that i might consider using for hunting but mainly as a quick follow up option since they load so easily.

The only one i shot into media held about 220gr and the bullet was badly distorted and not your typical mushroom expansion either.

the 275 is a great bullet as well. I made a good # of inserts for the 45 last year and they seemed to do the job in the field.

A premium priced bullet should not need modification to insure proformance.

k said:
SteveB said:
A premium priced bullet should not need modification to insure proformance.

well said

Thats my main beef with them. Price them accordingly and they would fit well into the "affordable" category....at least the heavy ones.

I do kinda like the 45-300gr ones i got for about half price on sale. I just cant bring myself to put them in the Premium bullet category with Premium pricing.

A Barnes 195gr MZ or even a Lehigh is about the same price and IMO a far better 45 option unless you just like huge chunks of lead.

Latest posts

Back