Thinking of picking up a Knight Master Hunter?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsnakeboogy

Reaction score
Anyone have good or bad experiences with the Master hunter? It uses the orange discs, will I have a problem with Blackhorn 209? Any recomended loads?

Oh, by the way I'm Don in East Tennessee, noce to meet everyone!

[/img]

I shoot B209 in an orange disc'ed Knight. I have had no ignition problems with B209 & a CCIM primer. Just be sure things are clear, clean, & dry for loading/shooting. For hunting I'm up at 110-120 grns B209 & a 250 grn Hornady SST(Shockwave). This year I officially dropped to 115 grns of powder, I know woop de do. You should be happy with that gun. I'd stock up on a few orange discs too.

ratsnakeboogy

I am not sure that the Master Hunter does use the Orange DISC. I thought the Master Hunter was a newer rifle developed off the DISC Extreme.

Again going from memory the Master Hunter came with a laminated wood thumb hole stock, fluted barrel, with a special MHC barrel.

Is this the rifle you are askingabout.

http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog.asp ... iscextreme

Sabotloader you are correct...and...it also came with both laminate and synthetic as a package.

The master hunter pre-dated the red jackets and was made with the orange disc system. It was swapped to the red jackets later on, so could be either system depending upon when made. There was also a "Master Hunter MK-85".

I don't have the 2000 Knight catalog but the 2001 has the Master Hunter II DISC. It uses the orange discs. 2002 catalog is the first one to have the Master Hunter DISC Extreme which uses the red FPJ. Both had laminated thumbhole stocks and SS fluted barrels. In 2003 they introduced Cryogenic Accurizing. It is not in the 2007 catalog, most likely replaced by the new comer, the Long Range Hunter.

Just remember I said "I wasn't sure" - but if was good reading theposts with the history and time line....

I had the older style Master Hunter that used the orange discs. Of the 4 disc rifles Ive owned it was the least accurate and inconsistent. I had it glass bedded and that didnt seem to help either. In fact every Knight i ever owned outshot it including my MK-85. If looking for a older Knight Id look for a Disc Elite in .50 cal. I never heard anyone complain about their accuracy

Knight guarantees the accuracy of all their guns. Did you send it back to them?

It shoots the orange discs, it has the laminated thumbhole stock. I'll go look at it again this afternoon. The guy says it shoots very well, Knight garauntees 1.5" at 100 yards, if it won't shoot I'll send it back to them and have them work it over. Thanks for the info guys!

Don

I actually sold it to a fella that is quite happy with it. He gets it to shoot about 1.25 in with Barnes bullets.and really waiting between shots. He also cleans and swabs the barrel almost clean between shots. Thats one bullet I did not try because I think the prices are ridiculous. Ive never had a inline I couldnt get to shoot with XTP's or SSt's or Noslers and a damp patch between shots with the right sabot and powder charge except that one. Maybe I should have tried harder But I thought the gun was finicky compared to the other Knights I had.

Latest posts

Back