powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch_jdc

Reaction score
i am new to this sport and was going to shoot black horn 209 out of my knight disc extreme but the hangfire was so bad that i have lost confidence in it. i was shooting app shockey gold but could not get a consistant group. was just wondering what kind of powder everyone is shooting. i will be shooting 300gr shockwave bullets with federal primers, but am willing to change the primers or bullets.

:D
First off, welcome aboard :!: :!: I use APP GOLD along with Remington Kleanbore primers. I shoot Powerbelt 295 grain H/P bullets. I don't have a problem with that set up. I use 100 grains of powder. My charge is 100 grains out of the powder measurer but its only 85 grains by weight. ALL POWDERS ARE NOT THE SAME. As far as shooting groups go, my ACCURA is zeroed at 2"high at 50 yards. I would not hesitate to shoot a deer at 100 yards.
Good luck and have a great season :!: :!: :!:

I would say try a different sabot, I also have a knight and I would get hangfires with BH if the sabot wasn't tight enough. I ended up going to HPH12s. That seems to have made the difference for me.

i was shooting winchester 209's. the first shot went off with no hang fire at all. i reloaded and had a misfire put three primers through it and still did not fire. cleaned the gun and had 2 more hangfires. gave up on it that day. went home cleaned the gun. i talked to several people who were shooting the same setup. so i went back the next weekend and the first shoot was a hangfire. i have read a couple of articles were federal or cci are hotter primers.

i use federal 209m primers never a a problem with them and black horn but you need the m primers for black horn (m for magnum)

I didn't have problems with my Knight Extreme with Blackhorn but was using a very tight fitting sabot with Winchester 209s. I don't remember which sabot but it was common. Also mine used the plastic jacket breech plug. I remember something about the conversion kit (to use a primer without the jacket) not working well (with this powder) because of the different breech plug that came with it. I believe it was a dome model. I bought the kit but never used it for this reason. I'll do some checking up on this.

I just checked with the guru (big6x6) and he said the domed breech plugs had a shorter, smaller flash hole/channel and didn't work as well with this powder as the original plugs that were made for pyrodex and T7. This is the one I'm using. Also a Federal primer is hotter and may help too. Some drill out the carbon build up in the plug with the proper size drill bit twisting it by hand (same as we do with a Savage rifle plug).

Hope these suggestions help!

Hangfire!

I've got a knight LRH, and it is the same way. But, a tight sabot cures the problem. It doesn't really matter which primer I use if the sabot isn't snug in the barrel, it will hangfire or misfire. Try some MMP HPH 12's, or the harvester red CR. These cured the problem in my rifle.

BH 209 is to dang expensive anyway, switch to 777 or pyrodex and swab between shots and be done with it

i think i am just going to shoot pyro pellets for this year becouse i only have 1 chance to get to the range and sight the gun in. next year when i have more time i am going to try it again and switch the sabots and the primers and see what happens. i really like how easy black horn is to clean.

Rather than use prodex pellet, I would recommend you go with triple seven 2F loose. The TC shock wave 300 grain bullet is a good bullet. I've been told by others that they did not get good groups when they used the shock wave bullets in the yellow sabots. Tight groups returned same day once they went back to the shock wave bullets with the black sabots. The Winchester triple seven 209 primer is the one to use with triple seven. However I have also had good luck with regular Winchester 209 primers, but had to wipe the crude ring then. I do not think you will get your best accuracy with pellets, but if you must use them then weight themn on a scale and group them into groups that are close to the same.

i ended up going to shockey gold 3f, american pioneer told me to cut the load by 10% becouse of the 3f. but you were right on the money about the sabots, switched them with some regular black sabots that i had and my groups are around 2inch center to center at 100 yards. i will be playing with it more after deer season, i just wanted to make sure i was going to be on target for the nov gun hunt. thanks for all the help.

Pwders

Hi, do you all recommend BH 209 powder or Triple 7 powder for a T/C triumph? I have Win 209 primers, but am going to get some CCI or Rem Kleenbore.

suggest

Watch out open Can o Worms !! recommend BH 209 powders

dalberg said:
I would say try a different sabot, I also have a knight and I would get hangfires with BH if the sabot wasn't tight enough. I ended up going to HPH12s. That seems to have made the difference for me.
.................1+ MMP-hph12's fit just right in my disk-xt,and use a very firm seating pressure,you should be good to go....karl

Latest posts

Back